How do you know if you're ready to be a mom?

So, my husband & I have been TTC for a few months & all of the sudden today I had this horrible emotion come over me...like maybe I won't be a good mom...or maybe if we do get pregnant...the baby won't like me. Is this normal?

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 7:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Dont worry. That is completely normal. I remember having those thoughts, but I would be worried if you DIDNT have those thoughts.

Finding our your pregnant (sending baby dust your way!), and having a baby is such a HUGE rollercoaster of emotions. Happy to bring a new life with someone you love, scared of all the responisbility and choices you are going to make that determine the future for this baby, amazed that you created life... You will feel more emotions than you ever thought you had.
    When I found out I was pregnant, I didnt think I was ready. But I knew that God knew that I was. I knew he sent me this precious child to care for, and I dont take that responobility and gift lightly. And it sounds like you dont either!
    I dont know if you ever feel ready to be a mom, it just happens, and you become one
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Totally normal. You never know if your a good mom. Mine are 6 and 8 and I still look for afformations. You can just do you best!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes. Some days I still don't think I am ready and my children are 9 and 5.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yes, that's normal. don't worry......most of the time your mommy instincts take over once the baby is born. if not, there is plenty of help for mothers having trouble or going through ppd. gl....and don't worry! you'll be fine
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes that is normal and you never know if you are ready to be a mom. But trust me when you do have your child then all of the scary and wonderful emotions just flush over you. But dont worry your baby will love you and you will be a good mom...you will make mistakes but every mom...and dad...does lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Totally normal! If you ever think you've got a handle on it, you're in for a shock! LOL We're never 100% ready, and if we were to wait until we were, we'd be extinct! Parenthood is full of challenges, and new ones crop up app the time. It's absolutely normal to be nervous, anxious, excited, etc. It's also absolutely worth it. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Absolutely normal.. But I have to say that you can never be sure if you're "ready." Some women go into motherhood eyes wide open and they find they weren't ready after all... And some women "end up" pregnant and they turn out to be excellent moms.

The truth is... as long as you love the child unconditionally and are prepared to do whatever is necessary for the child's health, happiness, and general over all well being... You'll be just fine! It's not an easy job... But it's the best job in the world! (I should know. Four kids. lol)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 7:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think, no matter what, you're never FULLY prepared to be a mom! It's a scary freakin job!! Also, if you've never had doubts about being a good mom then you are NOT normal!!

I wasn't ready...I never wanted kids...then "it" happened! I was scared shitless!! Every day I wonder if I'm doing a good job.

michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It is normal. I think the emotion of it not happening yet is getting to you. You're overthinking it completely, because you'll never know what will happen until it happens. And putting a scenario out there now is only going to drive you insane. Take a deep breathe.

I do agree that you're never fully prepared to be a mom. I wanted to be a mom more then anything and then when I got pregnant I started freaking out. I went through all of the "I'll be a horrible mom", "I can't do this", "I'm not ready", etc. It came naturally to me though and I fell right into step with it. Some people just have to experience certain things to know truely whether it's right or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I totally believe it's normal. I feel the same way!!! I'm worried about the SAME thing!

I realized that I'm ready to be a mom when about a month ago I thought I was pregnant...when I got the results from the blood test that I wasn't, I was devastated. I took it a LOT harder than I thought I was going to. We aren't trying, but we aren't preventing...but I CAN"T WAIT til it happens. It scares the crap out of me, but I can't wait!!!
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 10:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010