I never had an easy bake oven :(

So please tell me...would it be appropriate for a 5 year old girl. Does it really get hot hot?

Do you have to buy the food "kits" to use it?

TELL me TELL me! :)

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 7:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had one and I think it's a little old for 5. It does get hot and you do have to buy the food kits.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• lol it uses a light bulb to cook the food, so it gets as hot as a lamp. i think you can cook regular stuff in there (cakes, stuff like that), but you have to use the little pans it comes with.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It gets hot, so you will want to watch her with it. It's kind of like a microwave. They come with a sugar cookie mix and a cake mix I think. I always wanted one when I was a kid and never got one, so my hubby got me one for my bday last year! I think it would be a great gift for her as long as you keep a watch on her.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• They are gross and probably a little dangerous but one of my favorite toys when I was little. I use to make everyone eat the "stuff" I made and cooked (it cooks with a light bulb) I think the food kits are needed because whatever they put in there ( I am sure we don't want to know) is pre-measured for those little pans. It is a fun gift for a 5 year old but poor you- the food is yuck ;) Have fun!!!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i had one growing up but instead of buying the kits i would get the little boxes of jiffy cake mix (the size of the boxes of jiffy cornbread)
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It will get hot for a 5 year old but either way your child should be supervised when using it so i dont see why not. I think she will have a blast making things in there. and if she dosnt like it now then she will in a year or 2..if that...I always thought you had to get the little pouch but i never thought about using the regular stuff in there. That should work out just fine...you would just have a lot of things to make lol. then again you could bag it and put it in the refrigerator. But like I said i think its a great idea!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• As long as you're with your daughter while she's using it, you'll be fine. Like any other potentially hazardous object, parent supervision is a good thing, no matter how old. And no, you don't have to use the packets that come with it. You can use a regular cake mix or such, just a small amount. Use the packets to figure out how much you would use. And tell your daughter that yes, brownies look a little dry. You don't need to add more water. If you do, they be brownies! ;)
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 7:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it would be fine if you do it together! sounds like fun, I never had one either. My DD has one that is still in the box!
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 8:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't know about them personally, but I do want to say this. Don't buy something for a child to relive your childhood. Only buy something for a child that they actually want and are going to use. Living through a child is backwards and unhealthy. I'm not saying that's what you are doing, but it does sound that way.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• oh no...this little girly wants to cook EVERYDAY!

lol

She says she is going to be a famous chef when she grows up....she didnt get this from me, I am not a cook..hahahhaha
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010