Should it be okay for a high school teacher text a student on subjects other than school related?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• absolutely not and if they were that phone would be in my hand n the principals office so fast their head would spin. I don't care what it was about.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Seems weird.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• "depends. teachers have a life outside of teaching you know."

This is true, but their lives should not involve their teenage students. It is crossing the line. Teachers should keep their personal lives separate from their students.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Sometimes students find one teacher that they trust when they don't trust anyother adults. Sometimes students need an adult to talk to about a real problem. I wouldn't say it is normally appropriate but if my child was very depressed and showing signs of using hard drugs or suicide I would expect the teacher to do what they could to help the child.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 8:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• well it depends am a teacher and I send text to my students on current events and also activities that is going on.
    redhead435

Answer by redhead435 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• depends. teachers have a life outside of teaching you know.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• no a teacher should not be texting students at all and they should know that.... thus the reason why they are all getting in trouble.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'd want to know WHY???? seems very weird to me
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• "if my child was very depressed and showing signs of using hard drugs or suicide I would expect the teacher to do what they could to help the child. "

I agree BUT there are more appropriate ways to do this than texting and getting involved in this way. The teacher is not a qualified therapist. They should refer the child to a trained professional. If they are trying to counsel the student without reporting their worries to the appropriate parties and without alerting the parents then they are grossly overstepping their professional boundaries.

The teacher's job is to educate, not to be a best friend or a therapist.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010