Do you think it's selfish for a man over 60 to have a baby?

Just checking if there is a double standard.

Saya

Asked by Saya at 8:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• absolutely. Man or woman. I think parents should realize what their children will have to grow up dealing with, with parents that age. (death, taking care of them when they should be enjoying their childhood, not having an 'active' parent).
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• no.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• oh and of course these things could happen to any one of us, but are more likely for someone of that age
    SabrenaLeigh

• Yes, Knowing he will leave the kid/s to be raised by their mom or other family members.

Answer by louise2 at 8:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No and personally I am glad that women are getting to have babies later and later. I am 46 and Hubs is 49 Sometimes I wish we could have more right now.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yes, because as a parent i want to enjoy my children, not become a burden to them while they are still young.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• A man is having a baby!! This is something to celebrate!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've been sick and strung out on meds. Apparently they are getting to me.

This is honestly not new. Men have been having children at old ages for quite awhile. Typically, it is with young women, though. I'm not sure it is selfish, or just a way for them to regain their youth.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Of course it's selfish... so are a lot of things people do. Having kids too early.... or too late. Having kids when both parents carry the gene for some kind of defect is ludicris but people do it all the time... I even think it's selfish to have children if you're really short. Oh, I know I'll get bashed for saying that but my boss is a sweet and kind man who is only 5 ft tall and he is so lonely he could die. No woman will date him because he's just too short. His parents should have know better. Don't even get me started on how selfish it is to have children if you have a small p*eni*s. Your children have to live their entire lives in the body you make for them, with the financial circumstances you provide, the beleif system, the extended family, etc. Having kids at all is often selfish and thoughtless in my opinion.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 8:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• YES
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 8:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Just as selfish as it would be for a 60 year old woman to have one.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010