How can I handle this coworker?

Here is my problem. I worked at an office and recently they hired a new employee. All I hear is how great he is. He is so professional, he’s so intelligent, catches on so quick etc. Now the truth is he constantly is asking me for info. I always answer rather then making him go to his boss. Also he tells me all the time oh that’s no big deal or what is another day when things are behind it gets done when it gets done. Part of me wants to start calling him out to the boss. The other part and what I am doing is sucking it up hoping one day they will catch on but I don’t think that will happen. I mean it is always he is so perfect and I should try to be more like him (including telling me I need a degree like them)

I could definitely use some guidance on this.
Thanks
Lost and confused in Florida

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• You should stop helping him/giving him info..That's what i would do..If he is so intelligent.let him figure it out himself..

Answer by louise2 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Simply stop the communication with him.. Let him sink or swim.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Just be too busy to help, I wouldn't be rude about it because you are going to be working with him, just avoid feeding into this situation.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I think I would be a little less available to help him out. Let him know he needs to do things on his own for him to really learn his job. Don't be rude about it or it will make you look bad.
    iagirl918

Answer by iagirl918 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Don't answer him when he asks you for info. He's a big boy, he can figure it out himself.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I would stop helping him. Let him fall on his butt. But like others said, be nice about it or you'll be the one looking bad.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• turn his fake butt in!
    praisinghim2day

Answer by praisinghim2day at 5:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I like the "be less available to help out" comment. Take it from someone with experience in this department...if you say anything to your boss, say it once and leave it at that. Otherwise they will start thinking that you are simply a soar loser. I personally would not say anything. I had a girl that worked for me and she was abusive to the employees, lazy and did nothing but eat all day! When I was pregnant, she would take breaks before me and disappear so I couldn't sit and take a lunch and purposely leave heavy things for me to lift and exclaim it was because of her weight issues. BLAH!! I complained, and complained, and complained to higher ups and they did nothing but come back on me and say that I needed to pity her more. Just stop helping the guy.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2008