how do i switch from breastfeeding to formula asap

teff123

Asked by teff123 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what the change for?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Well, you can just start giving your baby a bottle the one that is going to suffer is you. How are you planning on dealing with Engorgement?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• asap would be cold turkey. give your baby to someone else, leave the room so he can't smell you, he'll eat when he's hungry. it won't work if you hold the bottle, they know you're there and they know they'll get it eventually. if you're not there, they'll give in to the bottle. or you can put breastmilk in the bottle, give that to him, test bottles though, some are picky about which ones they'll take. i like vent-air bottles, they have the big bottles/nipples and the skinny bottles/nipples, you can choose depending how how you're built. mine took the big ones just fine, going back and forth, there was no nipple confusion at all. slowly mix formula into the breastmilk until they're completely on it.

can i ask why the switch? if it's because it hurts, you can always pump (to me it hurt less) and offer it in a bottle. even if your child is in daycare, i'm a teacher in the infant room and we have moms send breastmilk....
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i would wean and not do cold turkey because that hurts like hell!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I quit cold turkey and it did hurt like mad. I couldn't even lift Matthew. I called my mil in tears to come over and help me with him. I was soooo stupid.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 8:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Is this a booby to bottle switch or just a bottle of breast milk to a bottle of formula switch. If it is a booby to bottle switch I had to try multiple nipples. My son did not like the texture of fake nipples so it was really hard. He never even took a passy for the same reason. Buy bottles that come with different type of nipples and yes, let someone else feed him and leave the room, atleast until he gets used to the bottle. Good luck! It isn't fun switch for mommy or baby. And the switching to formula is just a switch. You can mix half and half until you run out of booby juice.

@ armywife...pumping hurt more then nursing for me....I nursed mine even in public because I couldn't pump...OUCH!

sailorgirl12

Answer by sailorgirl12 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• cabbage in the bra is great for getting rid of your milk! Sounds grosse but works wonders.

Alright...you wanna be done with breastfeeding so you got lots of options. You can start pumping for awhile..give the breast milk in the bottle to teach the child to use a bottle. Then switch it to formula. You can go cold turkey and just give them formula. A child isn't gonna starve themselves. If your child is older..use a cup with milk. It's not going to be easy. But if it's what's best for you then do it! HUGS.
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 8:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Add 2oz of formula to a 6oz bottle of breast milk do it for a week. The next week take away 1oz of breast milk replace it with 1oz formula for a week. The next week do the same. When the bottle has only got formula the baby should be used to the taste. This is how my friend got her baby off the breast milk after 6 wks she didn't want the breast anymore. U can do the same with the switch from formula to milk too
    diamondsky

Answer by diamondsky at 9:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i would do it gradually and mixing breast milk with the formula... talk to your pediatric
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i do it slow cold turkey does hurt
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010