Would you want to know if a child attending daycare with your children were HIV positive?

I saw this on a post somewhere on cafemom a few days ago(if you have the link please post). It was a pretty heated arguement and I could sort of understand both sides. Me personally, I would want to know. I would like to be able to decide for myself if I'm willing to take risks. I know chances are slim but I think its aparents right to decide. I didn't know that parents couldn't be informed(its illegal) until I read that post. It really is making me think twice about putting my toddler in daycare. Bash if you must its ok I have thick skin. But I just want to know what your thoughts are.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Teachers--daycare or regular school-public or private--can't even know if a child in their classroom is HIV positive, or positive for anything else.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No, someone else's health condition is none of my business. I would not want others knowing my health issues.. As long as the staff is prepared for the situation, that's good enough for me.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I personally would want to know, but not because I would worry about my kid so much as I'd worry about kids making the HIV positive kid sick.
    I agree with not telling others, but that's me.
    It's all a fact of life, and people need to learn to live together.
    Anonymous

• of course i would want to know! chances may be slim, but there's still a chance. i don't see how it's illegal, being that people are being arrested for the spread of hiv when they don't tell partners about it....unless you're saying it's illegal to not tell them at all..sorry i'm tired tonight, so i may have read that wrong. but yes, i would want to know.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I can't say I would really care either way. It's not like they are going to be having sex or sharing needles in daycare. Children are entitled to their privacy just as adults are... You don't know the status of your coworkers, why should you have a need to know about the status of your kids daycare?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• we all know how HIV AND AIDS IS TRANSMITTED, SO PEOPLE NEEDS TO READ MORE.
    redhead435

Answer by redhead435 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'd want to know.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 9:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would definitely want to know - I do think it is a parent's right to know about infections diseases...whether it is HIV, Hepatitis, or the flu. I know, I know - the flu is different because it is passed in a different way, but you get the idea. I think a parent has a right to make the decision to have their child in a facility that could "potentially" be dangerous. I can't say if I would take my child out of a daycare if there were a child with HIV - I have never been in that situation. But I feel I should be able to make that decision based ON FACTS not fear. And I think every parent should THOROUGHLY check their daycare/school's policy on handling any possible accidents. Our school has a poster in every classroom with detailed instructions and teachers are trained properly. Since there is no disclosure, they need to be very careful with everyone.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You better believe it. My kids are my first priorieties.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 9:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would want to know b/c kids do dumb things like make each other "blood sisters and blood brothers" you know where you cut yourself and then mix the blood together b/c i remember doing it when i was younger with someone so ya i would like to know its a higher risk now a days for kids to have it and at a young age a child isn't gonna really realize they have it and know what it means
    acastle2

Answer by acastle2 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010