My daughter is six and has just started hitting me like it's funny but it's not. Is this normal for her age? What is the best way to stop her from continuing?

AngelHerring

Asked by AngelHerring at 9:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is six and has hit a couple times in the past - I think it's pretty normal, boundary-testing behaviour. I agree you should talk to her about it - she may be trying to express something and is unable to find the words. Explain that hitting hurts you, both physically and emotionally, and that it's not appropriate behavior. Let her know that if she hits, she will be put in a time out or have a privilege taken away and follow through if she does hit you. Be consistent and she will stop.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 1:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• use words to tell her why it is not acceptable for her to hit you.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would say no, it's not really normal behavior for a 6 year old. Is she getting a reaction out of you? I would let her know you are very serious that she will be punished the next time it happens and then follow through if it happens again. She is old enough to understand that hitting wrong and that there will be consequences.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Find out WHY she is hitting. Is someone hitting her? Is she very angry? It is NOT normal for her age and it is unacceptable. I would not hit her or spank her, because then it will be a game.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• she has told me that someone at school has been saying mean things to her and she said they get into trouble for it. At first she started saying mean things back to them but the teacher told me about it and I grounded her from her sleep over that weekend. I would hope that if she was getting hit at school she would tell me that too or the teacher would. I do not spank my kids at all.
    AngelHerring

Comment by AngelHerring (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2010