to breastfeed or not to breastfeed, that is the question....

my new husband and i are debating. breastfeeding or formula? my 2 kids who are 9 and 6 were formula fed. i didnt even try to breastfeed, it just didnt seem like the right thing for me. both kids have peanut allergies and my son has seasonal allergies and is also allergic to cats. but they are both healthy otherwise. he totally believes that breastfeeding is best and honestly i think it scares the hell out of me. its such a huge commitment and seems really hard to do. is it really all that much better than formula? i can see pros and cons of both and im not sure what to do. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I say give breastfeeding a go. The health benefits far outweigh then benefits of FF. Plus, you can always switch to formula from the breast, but it's really hard to do the opposite. Do some research, find a lactation consultant, and decide what's best for you. There are both breastfeeding and formula feeding groups on here, too, if you want to join them.
    I've heard many women say they regret not at least TRYING to breastfeed, but I don't hear much about women wishing they had formula fed.
    Good luck whatever you decide! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• the benefits seem never ending. no bottles, no waiting to make a bottle while the baby is screaming hungry. your milk is always ready, always the perfect temperature, no recalls, no bugs!
    it is so great when your baby is under the weather or teething! they get the comfort and the needed fluids, you get to do something other than give your baby tylenol or motrin or take them to the dr. i think the worst part for a mom is feeling helpless when our babies aren't feeling well, but breastfeeding removes that helplessness.
    it seems that every couple of years they find a new thing to add to formula, and yet for 40 years it has been touted as just as good as breastmilk.
    anyhow, read up on it, visit a la leche league meeting if you want. like pp said, it is easier to try breastfeeding and switch to formula than it is to ff and switch to bf.
    i truly wish you the best of luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It truly is up to you, but breast-milk is so much better for infants than formula.
    You should at least give it the 1st 3 mos. try.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• TRY IT' I breest feed with no issue lil uncomfortable at first but youll get it. so nuch cheaper easier and the bonding is awsome
    I bottled my first get up in night making bottle heat it up all while juggling hungray baby but other two wake up pop them on breast and relax
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You really wont know how you will like it until you do it. It is a very personal decision.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• omg! after researching this topic i feel so guilty that i formula fed and my kids have allergies!!
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Breastfeeding can be very challenging at first. So make a commitment to go for at least x amount of time (preferably 2 weeks or so to get all the colostrum) Make that commitment and stick to it. By the end of that time, you should be able to decide if you want to go for a full 6 weeks. After about 4 weeks, I was so used to it and baby was easier, especially middle of the night feedings, that I didn't consider stopping. The bond you form with baby will make it worth it. I loved nursing my kids and wouldn't trade it for the world. Last time I checked, the AAP suggested one year, and the WHO suggested two years. But take it one step at a time. It will be worth it, even if you just last the first few weeks.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I used formula . My son is very healthy and active I see no difference. I worked full time so it was easier. I felt NO GUILT
    Missycat50

Answer by Missycat50 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you brest feed your baby is proven to be more healthy but i have friends and they didn't brestfeed and there kids are healthy ! goodluck (:
    K_Dawn82

Answer by K_Dawn82 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think you should at least try it.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 10:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010