Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Has anyone got there childs bio daddy to sign away his rights??, Or Got Them to let your DH adopt your child?

I have been with my DH for over 3 years.. the bio father of my son hasnt been in his life, yes he pays child support.. but is not in his life (was in and out of jail) now that he is steady and out he still isnt in my sons life, i gave him chance after chance.. and we just lost contact and havent been talking at all.. we both just moved on, Well i would really like for my son to share my last name.. my dh and i are going to have child and i want all my child to have the same last name..
what are the steps i need to take??
will my ex still have to pay child support if he lets my DH adopt my son
and how could i change my sons last name if he wont let us adopt him??
- my son is 5
- his bio dad is on the birth certificate
- there is court ordered childsupport,
- i have full custody

Answer Question

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Adoption

Level 13 (980 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Yes I have done this in Colorado. My DH adopted my son. What state are you in? I had an attorney but I can try to walk you through the process the best I can. PM me if you want to chat.

    Answer by kjbennett26 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • ill try and "Pm" you,, i dont know how to do much.. :) on here.. i live in florida

    Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • I live in GA and when I had my son (my now ex) husband signed his rights away almost immediately we were in the middle of a divorce and he wanted nothing to do with him. Sadly my son tragically lost his life b4 his second birthday.


    Answer by gratefulangel77 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • I did it in Mississippi. Basically I let my exhusband know what would happen if he didn't pay child support and that was enough for him to sign away his rights. We still had to go through lawyers though. My husband adopted my daughter and we had to do home studies and the like. If you'd like more info please feel free to PM me :)

    Answer by kameka at 10:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • .....does the state make you surrender your sons original birthcertificate in a step parent adoption?

    After your husband adopts your son, I'd think that any new (copies) requested thru vital stats would be the ammended cert, listing you and his step dad. But do they take your
    first bc issued away from you? If not, please keep it safe for your son. One day, he may like to have it.

    Answer by adopteeme at 4:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • When I was still a baby (in the state of Florida), my mother sent divorce papers to my real dad (while he was doing temporary duty in Korea), forfeiting all parental rights to me. He was really young (still a kid in many ways) and signed it. She then had the guy she left my dad for (and her current husband now, d-bag) adopt me ("...because I want your last name to be the same as mine and I don't want you to have to explain why your name would be different than mine and [d-bag's] name...").

    I really wish she didn't do that (and forcing him to give up parental rights). I love my real dad and really couldn't care for her husband [d-bag]. D-bag may have adopted me, but he always treated me differently than he did my half-sister. He always praised her more, even when she wasn't deserving of it. My half-sister can't stand him now, but he still sees her as perfect.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 11:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • But do they take your first bc issued away from you? If not, please keep it safe for your son. One day, he may like to have it.

    She can keep a copy of her son's OBC, if she wants. She just has to order an extra copy because one will have to be filed with the court. I have both my son's OBCs in a file at home.


    Answer by matthewscandi at 3:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • My husband adopted my son when he was three in a step parent adoption. We couldn't find BDad so, it had to be put in the newspaper for 28 days in the town that he last lived in before he disappeared. We had a homestudy, fingerprint background check and a court hearing. I have since located my son's BFather but, neither of them want a relationship at this point. I adopted my stepson last year and went through the same process but, since BMother had passed away nothing had to be put in the newspaper. Each adoption cost about 2k.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 3:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • I think if your ex still pays child support it could get tricky, because he is still "in the picture" even if he doesn't visit. I'd recommend you consult an adoption attorney.

    Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 7:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.