Anyone know about concussions?

mamacita69930

Asked by mamacita69930 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son got hurt a few years ago in a football game too. Coaches immediately pulled him out; I took him to the ER afterwards. He had a scan done to make sure everything was OK. They didn't diagnose him with a concussion exactly but with mild head trauma (same thing, imo). He experienced some blurred vision that lasted a day or two. Doc kept him out of practice for about 3 weeks. Lots more awareness now from the NFL all the way down to the pee-wee leagues. There were a bunch of articles about it in Sports Illustrated this past week; the one I found most interesting was about how repeated blows (and not necessarily hard ones at that) cause more damage than the hard hits. Also, they're finding out that even soccer players who head butt the ball can have lasting dangerous effects. Check it out, and best of luck to your son.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• What do you want to know? Symptoms include lethargy, dizziness, headache, nausea, blurred vision, and much of the time their eyes will be dilated more than is usual, or dilated funny (one more than the other.) If you suspect someone has a concussion, they should be evaluated by a doctor; if the concussion is serious, there is a concern that they could sustain brain damage or slip into a coma. If there's swelling at the sight of injury, more than a normal bruise would warrant, then they should also see a dr.
    BaileynMe

Answer by BaileynMe at 10:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i have had a few have the child take it easy for awhile when i had my first one my mom didn't believe me that i something was wrong and had it for about 3 days walking to and from school and playing basketball in PE gotta let the head heal just like anything else only way to really diagnose is with a CAT scan or whatever but after having a few you kinda know the feeling and know just to take it easy
    acastle2

Answer by acastle2 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• What about them?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• one thing that i heard years ago to look out for was pupils of different size, and vomiting could be signs of concussion. i don't even know if that info is accurate...i should look it up, i have a few kids!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes my husband has had like 10, what do you need to know? dont let them go to sleep if you susspect one...usually the eyes will get black like they got punched in the face type black eye. vomiting may occure. They need to stay awake for at least 2-3 hours before allowing sleep to ensure they are ok.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My son got one during football practice, he is 14.
    mamacita69930

Comment by mamacita69930 (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• He got a lot of tests done by their trainer. I feel so bad because he does not want to dwell on it but he was cranky.
    mamacita69930

Comment by mamacita69930 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure I would settle for just having tests done by the trainer. I would probably take him in to the ER or to his doctor. Concussions aren't anything to mess with. If severe enough, he could slide into a coma or have a blood clot form. I know they don't usually want someone to sleep for a while after receiving a concussion or severe blow to the head. If he is cranky, it might be a sign of something more serious.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My 3 year old got one and was hospitalized for 24 hours but after that she was fine again.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 12:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010