Step-parent adoption #2 (please leave your answers on this post)

I know it's our decision and not my family's, but I'm just a bit taken back by how unsupportive some of my family is.

Have any of your SO's/DF's/DH's adopted your child, or plan on adopting your child? If so, was the adoption done before or after marriage? If it was before, how supportive were your families?

Please no bashing!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did this in Colorado and by law you had to be married for 1 year before filing the paperwork for the step parent adoption.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• First off, don't be so sure bio-dad will just sign away his rights. He might..or he might decide he can make it hard for you. I personally would not attempt the adoption process until after you are married. I know the judge that granted our adoption would never agree to an adoption where the parents weren't legally bound to one another. He may be her 'Daddy'...but if he adopts her and something happens to the relationship...he could gain custody of her, esp. if you don't work. Those are probably some of the things the family is worried about.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it should be done after the marriage anything can happen before marriage and he can just leave the hild but then again marriages fail everday! i agree with previous poste be careful and god bless
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 10:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my dh raised my son, and we will do adoption if my son wants that at 12
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Our families were very supportive, but we did it after we got married. I don't see a problem doing the adoption before. So what if things don't work out and you dont get married...things aren't guaranteed to work out even if you do get married. He's still her daddy either way and marriage certificate isn't going to change that. And it depends on what state you live in on whether or not he can adopt her before marriage. I know in Texas you don't have to be married to do a step-parent adoption. Look up the laws for your state on-line. Good luck!
    SheIsMySunrise

Answer by SheIsMySunrise at 10:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2010