Have you ever been to see a holocaust survivor speak?

We had one at our local college not too long ago, and it was really moving and so sad. (Wasn't sure where else to put this question.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My dear FIL was a Holocaust survivor. He had a number tatooed on his arm. He survived 6 years in 3 different camps including Auschwitz and Dachau. Surviving for so long was not the norm either. His story was so amazing. He wrote it as a book for the grandchildren and I had the privilege of typing it for him. He also spoke to many schools and groups. When he died last summer he had a military honor guard, as he served in Korea. The most amazing part of it was that it was the reformed regiment that liberated him from his death march from Dachau.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes, had both Auschwitz and Dachau survivors living where I grew up and my US History teacher in HS had them come speak about WWII because they both ended up marrying the US Soldiers that rescued them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I worked at San Diego Hebrew Homes for several years when we lived there. I had several patients who were Holocaust survivors. Seeing a row of numbers tattoed inside someones arm or lower lip is quite sobering. Some of them could tell you about their experiences. All had histories in the chart that at least briefly explained some of it. My sons both went on field trips to the Museum of Tolerance in L.A.....I can tell you two boys came home with a very different attitude that day.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I heard Mira Ryczke Kimmelman speak when I was down in TN a few years ago. I read her book, Echoes From the Holocaust. She is amazing. She is a very brave woman.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No I havne't. That must have been an experience for sure.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yes I have. From both Auschwitz and Dachau. My Oma as well was one. I have been to both Auschwitz and Dachau too. . . they reek of the residual energies there. It is very sad. My Oma was a lone survivor from her family. . . it was sad to hear her talk of it and how she saw her sister and mother die. Very sad!
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 10:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yes, i also heard mira speak here in alabama....she is amazing!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2010