For those that dont celebrate Christmas with Santa..

Id like to know why soo anti-Santa?
We didnt want Jesus left out of Christmas at all, so we taught our kids Santa brings us gifts to NOT FORGET who's birthday it is.. and we get the gifts because Jesus lives in all our hearts!
-We do this so we can a). Teach our child the true meaning of Christmas and b). she still gets to enjoy the excitement of going to see Santa & doesnt have to feel "left out" when seeing it in stores/talkin to friends.

Any thoughts on why this wouldnt work for your family? Or why you wouldnt do it?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Many people don't want to let anyone else get credit for the gifts they bought. I'm sure I'll get voted down, but I've seen it said here several times over the last few years. We are doing the whole Santa thing and my daughter also goes to church. Some people take life too seriously and are afraid to have fun and others seem to suck the fun out of such simple and innocent things. To each their own, but I truly hate when people come out with the "You're lying to your kids" crap about Santa. Neither me nor my 4 siblings felt "lied" to that our parents let us believe in Santa. It's childhood magic...wonders of the imagination. I, however, was such a logical and analytical child trying to figure out how one person could possibly make it around the world in ONE night, we didn't have a chimney and hmmmmm.....Santa's handwriting sure looks like my moms! I realized Santa wasn't real at like 6...was I mad? Of course not!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Santa is non-denominational (not even associated with religion) and just fun for kids. They evntually figure out that Santa isn't real but while it lasts, it s fun for everyone!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We do not do Santa. I did not grow up celebrating Christmas at all so it is kind of hard for me but I draw the line at with something that is so commercialized, that might no even be entirely it. It is just very uncomfortable for me. So I asked my husband if we could leave Santa out which he is comfortable with so we just exchange gifts between each other and the kids. We did not celebrate as a kid because of Pagan roots and commercialization so it is hard for me just to start with the whole nine yards.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We don't do Santa or Jesus, for similar reasons.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I grew up going to church and had Santa, I knew what Christmas was all about didn't forget the reason we celebrated it, but when I was young enough to believe in Santa I was allowed the make-believe world that children should be allowed to live in. My husband didn't grow up with Santa, his father is a pentecostal pastor and they believed that having Santa took away from the true meaning of Christmas and took the focus off of Jesus. My husband and I now, celebrate Christmas with Santa we agree that you can teach your children the true meaning of Christmas and still allow them to be little kids and enjoy the magic that Santa brings to Christmas. The way I see it, when kids are young enough to believe in Santa they are at an age when they think about themselves first and therefore wouldn't be thinking about the true meaning of Christmas in the way that some adults expect them to.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The whole Santa=lying thing is so odd to me. I have read on here where people said it ruined their childhood- really? I like the way you explained it and although we do it differently- the message is the same- celebrating our family and our belief in God and Jesus. For those that do Christmas without any association with Jesus are fine too- its always OK to love and enjoy your family!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Well it wouldn't work for my family and I wouldn't do it because I'm Muslim. However, I view the whole Christmas thing as a modern remnant of pagan practices and worship so even if I were a Christian I don't think I would want to practice it. It's a sort of bothched version of the pagan Yule and Santa has origins in both ancient pagan deities as well as in Christian Saints making it basically saint worship at best. Not what I want to teach my children at all. But, if you like to do it and your ok with it teach your children however you want with what works for you.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 5:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• OP, I like the way you explained what your family does, and that how I feel, too. My DH, on the other hand, is sort of a stick in the mud about the whole thing. He thinks that if we encourage the kids to believe in Santa, they will think we lied to them and won't believe anything we say. He would not budge. It wouldn't do me any good to try to tell the kids about Santa if he was going to tell them it's not true. I think he's taking away one of the fun things about childhood. It's excitement and imagination. My DD, age 6, still pretends Santa is coming with his reindeer even though she knows the presents come from us. We told her about St. Nicholas, a real person who loved Jesus and helped people by sharing and giving gifts.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Oh - and when my daughter is naughty, sometimes I tell her that I'm going to shoot Santa an e-mail so he can put her on his naughty list. She yells, "Nooooo!"
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• @samurai.. hey girl, I just meant for me and my kids personally ;-) I wasn't talking about the general populace of planet Earth, just my little clan at home lol. We really like Santa.

Xmas can be enjoyed quite well without either the religious aspect OR the Santa aspect. Our family just does the Santa thing. We're not religious in any way and love the season.

No offence (or ignorance ) was meant in any way towards anyone. I always like your posts when I see them though. Your a very thoughtful and intelligent woman.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2010