What do you call your child's teacher?

DD is in her second year of preschool and has the same teacher...Beth Altieri...and the same teacher aide...Sue Pollen. I obviously know their first names; however, I do not call them by their first names...instead saying Miss Altieri and Mrs Pollen.

This evening we attended an Early Literacy thing at the school where teachers were talking to us about things our preschoolers needed to know before they could read. The teacher pointed out that her tag said "Mrs ...." (don't remember her name), but asked that we call her by her first name.

What is the norm to call your child's teacher? Mr/Ms or by their first name?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in

• In preschool the teachers go by Miss First Name so that is what I call them also. From Kindergarten on I always call the teacher Mr./Mrs./Miss Last Name. I think it shows respect.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Only as Mr/Ms/Mrs
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I say Mrs. Graham. I would imagine that if I saw her outside of school and away from my daughter or other students I would call her Diane.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If the teacher wants to be called by her first name, call her by it. You are both adults. Otherwise, I would call her Mrs. so and so out of respect and as a role model for my child.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I usually call my sons teacher mr/s and their last name with the exception of last years teacher, I helped in the class pretty often and on field trips and she came to spend time with me while my son was in the hospital and my husband was deployed so we called each other by a first name basis unless we were in front of students.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When referring to the teacher with my kids it is usually Mrs. or Mr. So and So. When addressing the teacher it is by the first name most of the time. Some of their teachers also go by their first names in the classroom as well. But that might be a little more of a cultural thing because it's usually the Israeli teachers.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We've always gone with Mrs or Mr. Never first names except with the school secretary.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 10:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i still call the teachers that *I* had in school Mr/Mrs
    its a respect thing
    racergirl7

Answer by racergirl7 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my son goes to montessori and they all go by their first names... so my kid's teacher is Ms. Jay -- i call her Jay because i am not a student~ i am a teacher and really like it when parents talk to me like a regular person by my first name... that is just me. Jay doesnt mind me calling her by her name.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• In preschool is was Ms.Brenda, Mr. Chris and Ms. Chris. Once he got in elemenatry school and on, it was Mr. Jones or Ms. Jones.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 1, 2010