if all the women in my family have given birth by C-section does that mean i will or that i have a higher chance?

i am super worried about this because i have always wanted to give birth naturally

scared.first1

Asked by scared.first1 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Absolutely not!! Every woman is different and every pregnancy is different and as long as you and your baby are healthy, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't give birth naturally.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My four older sisters all had to have c-sections with all of their children. I just assumed that I would too. But, when the time came, I didn't have any problems. In fact, Me and my two younger sisters all had ours naturally...So, I would think it could happen to you as well. It's definitely something to ask your doctor about.
    mamamac5

Answer by mamamac5 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Since 2/3 of all c-section are avoidable, I would say no. But you better do your research and find out what is a real reason and what is caused by medical interference.  I suggest you come read my page and join some of the better groups.  PM me and I'll give you some names of moms you should make friends with.

older_mom

Answer by older_mom at 2:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• It doesn't mean anything, heck I never thought I would have one none of my family has ever had one and I have a huge family. So it really has nothing to do with it. If you really want to avoid it try to prevent it as much as possible. Thats all you can really do and after that if you still have to have one its ok you'll get through it and either way all that counts is a healthy baby.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• NO. I was the ONLY one on both sides of my family that had a c-section. Dont worry too much though because its not bad at all! I LOVED it!! lol I know.....Im weird :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• every woman is different - but if big babies run in the family then that could be the hint - i would ask if they HAD to do a cesarien or if they CHOSE to do it or if the dr SUGGESTED it.
    i would venture to guess that everyone will have a different answer - this will show you that its not a "common occurance" more than it is a "coincidence"
    talk to your dr now so he can be prepared for you NOT wanting a cesarian... they can suggest many options - such as monitoring the size of the baby, your weight gain, and maybe even inducing labor before you are no longer able to deliver vaginally.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• No, it could have been many different reasons that they had to have c-sections, none of which may have been genetic. I suggest asking your Doc. what his/her c-section statistics are. Doctors and hospitals have to keep this info. and give it to you. A realistic percentage is around 10-15%. If their number is much higher, look for a new doc. Nearly half of all c-sections are medically unnecessary, so if you are really worried, start doing your research.
    Anonymous

• No and you can definitely create a natural birth. Getting a doula will definetly reduce your risk significantly. Sometimes you can get a volunteer doula to help you out too. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/04/980429164254.htm

hth
    Jessica
    EmbracingBirth

Answer by EmbracingBirth at 8:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Answered at 3:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 by: vakatia every woman is different ...talk to your dr now so he can be prepared for you NOT wanting a cesarean... they can suggest many options - such as monitoring the size of the baby, your weight gain, and maybe even inducing labor before you are no longer able to deliver vaginally.
    Excuse me but what studies have you been reading because inducing labor INCREASES the likelihood of a c-section

older_mom

Answer by older_mom at 11:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2008