Birth Certificate Question

We just moved and I had to order birth certificates for my kids online. I had no problem with my youngest certificate and ordering it. But when I went t do my oldest sons I had issues. The only person named on his certificate is me. But it wouldn't let me process the order. I know who the dad is but a paternity has never been established. I called DH and asked him what to do. He said to put his name down as the father. Is this illegal? Since we both know their is no way, since we hadnt even met yet at that point, that he is not the dad. The real dad wants nothing to do with him. So its not hurting anyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow...umm...not only do I believe that is illegal, but I believe it would be completely wrong morally. I would not do it. Good luck no matter what happens.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It shouldn't matter if there is a father listed or not in order to get a copy of the bc. I would NOT just put DH on as the father. He would have to sign papers and may be required to have a DNA test done in order to be put on the BC. Check with the family courts in your area.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I dont think that is legal
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• First you have to get biological dad to forfeit his parental rights then you can put the other guys name on birth certificate. There is paper work for both men. I went through this a long time ago. You can do an Amendment on a birth certificate with your state. You can type in your state department of health and a website should come up that explains how to change a BC.
    bestmomever333

Answer by bestmomever333 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would get some legal advice to see what you need to do. You need to do this the right way to prevent future problems.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• When you are ordering a copy of a birth certificate you are getting exactly what they have in the system. The information for your child's birth certificate already exists. You aren't going to be able to just add a father's name to it like that. The information they ask you when you order one is so they can ensure they are sending you the right one and that you are a person who is entitled to have a copy (you cant just order up some strangers birth certificate). If there is no father's name listed then you should probably be putting the word "none" or "none listed" in that area of the form. If you supply a name that is not listed on the original form you are not going to be able to get your order processed. If you are still having an issue ordering it online you need to call the state in which you are ordering it from & see what the problem is.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Not having a "father" listed has nothing to do with you being able to get a copy of the BC. Yes that would be wrong to add your hubby's name without doing all the legal leg work.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't think it would be morally right.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Do you remember what his original birth certificate said under "father"? If so, just put exactly that, unknown, or none...whatever is listed on the certificate. Will it not let you proceed unless you enter something under "father"?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010