Thumb Sucking

So I can't get my son to stop sucking his thumb. He doesn't mind the hot sauce, I have pulled it out of his mouth, i have bought the contraption from the dentist, i have used the thum medicine stuff nothing seems to work any other suggestions?

acastle2

Asked by acastle2 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am to the point where I am just hoping that my little one is going to grow out of it. It can't last forever right?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• He is old enough to know that it's not acceptable. I started time outs when my DD kept sucking her fingers.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My daughter sucks on her ring and middle finger of her right hand...she is 4-1/2. We've tried everything minus the $75 contraption to get her to stop and nothing seems to be working. I've asked the "experts" and have been told again and again to just wait until her school friends "shame" her out of doing it. So...that's what we are waiting on. Thankfully, according to her dentist, this sucking is not hurting her teeth.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• but its only when he is tired so its not something i can do just to put him in time out before bed time and i haven't thought of the shaming thing but heck my cousin sucked her fingers till she was a senior in high school and i think they did a hypnosis thing on her i ain't for sure
    acastle2

Comment by acastle2 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Everyone says that thumb-sucking leads to bad teeth and such. I don't know if I believe them. Funny story... my DH still sucks his thumb (when he's concentrating, or when he's drifting off to sleep), and he has beautiful teeth (no braces!) I hope our kids get his dental genes!
    Anonymous

• see i didn't suck my thumb but i had such bad teeth to where i had to have braces and almost all my baby teeth were taken out by a dentist i think my son is SOL when it comes to teeth b/c his dad has bad teeth as well lol
    acastle2

Comment by acastle2 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Perhaps try a glove or a mitten or something...?
    Sirrah98

Answer by Sirrah98 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think you should let him grow out of it! Did you breast feed? Breast fed babies use thumb sucking to soothe themselves! My 3 year old daughter sucks her thumb when she is tired! I do not think there is anything wrong with it! Trying to make them stop can cause serious damage with their self esteem or ability to cope in difficult situations! He will grow out of it! It is not a serious threat! and studies have proven that thumb sucking does not cause bad teeth! it is a myth and nothing more! Back in the day dentist used to believe thumb sucking caused problem like buck teeth etc. But that is not true! in order for that to happen he would have to constantly be sucking his thumb!!!!
    tisha1030

Answer by tisha1030 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nope no breast feeding was unable to breast feed he just saw a kid his age doing it and since then he had been doing it i haven't tried mittens or gloves yet will look into it
    acastle2

Comment by acastle2 (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010