Doesn't want to talk...

So my son doesn't want to talk to his dad unless i have gotten onto him for something. Me and his dad are obviously not together. I don't argue with his dad in front of him or talk bad about him in front of him. He is only 3 could his opinion be formed of him already so much with him being so young?

acastle2

Asked by acastle2 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be the relationship he has with him. Just because he is 3, doesn't mean he doesn't understand what is happening. You didn't give to much details of your relationship with his father so it makes it hard to understand your situation. I am also not with the father of my girls and at first they did the same thing. The reason they did it was cause they noticed their dad not being involved with them. In the way when we were together, like playing and spending time with them. Instead he would drop by and sit around and just see them and take off. My kids are the same as your son, and they are smarter than we know. My prayers are with you, and your son.
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 11:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Well me and his dad haven't been together since he was 6 months old and since then he has been in and out of his life. Our relationship is rocky b/c I try to be nice but he takes nice as me wanting to get back with him and then bothers me non-stop so I just assume to be a complete ass to him when need be. I mean I am nice and randomly send pics but he doesn't deserve them at all. So all in all his dad is in and out of his life and i can't tolerate him.
    acastle2

Comment by acastle2 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I take it he lives with you MOST (or all) of the time, obviously from above... He might not be comfortable with him. Could he be picking up vibes from your feelings of the dad?? I've never been in this situation and don't have a degree. lol I wouldn't push him or force ds to talk to the dad. I would SUGGEST it to him, or even "talk him into" in a way. He needs his dad (assuming the dad will properly care for him and not hurt him, etc) at least a little. Maybe gradually work into him talking/spending time with him? A little at firts, then working up... If I were you I would be Swiss! Don't say or do anything negative towards the dad when ds is present.. Even if you can't stand him now, he is the dad..... let ds make the choice when he's old enough.. Try not to push or hinder the relationship though.... Idk, like I said I've never been there, just guessing what to do! GOOD LUCK!!!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 2:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i bribe him to talk to him lol but sometimes that don't work and if i am feeling ill towards his dad i leave the room or go outside till i calm down and become a happy mom as much as i can
    acastle2

Comment by acastle2 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010