Biting!

My DD will be 3 next month and has recently started biting her little brother. And badly too! I need tips, tricks, opinions, or your experience on getting her to stop this behavior before she really hurts him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The only thing I've ever heard is bite them back :(

My dd was maybe 3, 3 1/2 and she did it once to my hubby. He made sure she knew it hurt and you were not allowed/supposed to bite, he didn't bite her back he just talked to her sternly, and she never done it again.
    Good Luck!!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 2:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• She needs to be closely supervised so you can anticipate when it will happen. If she is doing it because she is upset then you need to talk to her and redirect her. Make sure she is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when she does something right. And positive reinforcement for good behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I did the bite back thing (I didn't bite hard though- no marks-) and my son only bit that one time and no more.
    Nyokah

Answer by Nyokah at 2:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son did this at the babysitter's when he was 2 1/2....It was terrible. It went on for a good solid week if not longer. The babysitter would tell me he was biting....I didn't think it was hard. He would kinda bite us when he was excited and playing, but it was more like he would put his open mouth on us...he would never clamp down. Then one night the babysitter called around 9pm....Another parent called to say her kid had 3 bite marks on him. The kid he was biting were much younger...all under 2. I about died when I saw their poor arms. My son had left terrible bruises up their arms. He did it to 2 kids mainly. I tried everything....reading books about not biting...positive reinforcement...I even tried to put listerine strips in his mouth (only 1/2 of it) NOTHING seemed to work. Then one day the babysitter called me at work. (I work just 3-4 minutes away) I left my job and went and bit him back....He has never bit
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 9:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• (oops sorry so long) He never bit again. Of course, I felt terrible right after it....Like I was doing exactly what I didn't want him to do...but he stopped...I don't think he realized how bad it hurt the other kids. I was glad she called me at work because at home we didn't feel like we could put him in time out or anything when it happened hours earlier. GL to you...it is a hard phase but it will pass....
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 9:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010