Army Wifes (The TV Show isn't realistic?)

I love watching Army wife's....my DH tells me the show is so off course, because an officers wife would not ever be seen with the wife of an enlisted person.... Why is this? I believe him because he spent 13 yrs in the military......I'm just curious why the officers could not mingle (sort of speak) with enlisted? Do the officers feel they are better them the enlisted men/women? or is it simply protocol?

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Fraternization. Officer wives and enlisted wives are encouraged not to hang out. Some do, but for the most part officer's wives stay on one side, enlisted on the other.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It's just the way it's done regardless of the branch of military your in. My dad was enlisted my best friends dad was an officer therefore our parents didn't spend much time together. But they never prevented us from having a friendship.

BTW I love this show and cant wait for the next season. :)
    LovinKayla

Answer by LovinKayla at 12:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• When I was active duty, it was discouraged that officer spouses and enlisted spouses hang out, particularly if they were part of the same chain of command. For instance, if a friend of mine had an officer husband and he worked at the same place as my husband, we are not "supposed" to do things and go places together. Because in a way it affects the spouse. Say we have a falling out, she talks shit about me to her husband or whatever.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I've had different experiences at each base. No, they would not be THAT close of friends in most cases (Ok, like Denise and Claudia Joy, that would be ok). And most officers wives do not have that much pull on the base, either. it's not a very realistic show but I love it :) And I do have to say, when we were at a small base in Spain, where there were very very few officers wives, even the commander's wife hung out with everyone else. We had some awesome fun parties there :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Okay, as an army wife, that is not true. Fraternization only applys to people in the same unit. And I am the wife of a SGT. and I have friends whose hubbies are staff sgt. , cpt. , warrent officers, and genreal officers. everyoe commentin on here must have shitty military experience. Just last month we had an E-6, and o-1, and 3 E-5, and an E-8 come with wives to a party. AND the army has made the OSC ( officers souses club) into the MSC ( militry spouses club) I am actually sitting here right now waiting on an officers wife to come over and have coffee. In fort benning we had Ladies of the 507th. A group of wives of the soldiers of the 507th. ranging from PV1 to O-4. I mean it really isnt that way anymore. It is unwritten protocol, but noone follows that anyore, unless they are assholes!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2010