my son has a hard time at daycare in the mornings when I drop him off what should i do?

how can i make daycare drop off easier?

lglorioso

Asked by lglorioso at 2:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I worked at a daycare for 6 years.....I know it's not the easiest on Mom but it is best to say I love you have a good day,give a kiss or two and go! Really your child only cries to make you feel bad about leaving them. After your gone the workers can get him/her playing with other kids ect. to make them stop crying! Really from what I have seen through the years it's not easy on them no matter what you do! Good luck!
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• How long has he been going to this daycare? If not long I wouldnt worry...
    Also how long do you stay at drop off? If you hang around it is probably one of the main causes drop off is so hard. He thinks you're going to stay then you leave.Get in the routine as soon as you get to his classroom...kiss him tell him you love him and you will see him later then leave. I was in child care and the neediest kids and the ones that had the most difficult drop offs are the ones where the parent(s) hung around a while.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Not much you can do. My dd's been in day care since 8 weeks. Now at 17 months she's decided she doesn't like going in the morning and as soon as we get to her room she has a fit. I give her a kiss and say bye bye and leave her screaming. When I pick her up, she barely even acknowledges me. So I know she likes it there.
    Also, from having worked in a day care, I know they only cry for a few minutes then are fine the rest of the day.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I agree with other posters. When you drop him off, don't "lally-gag" about, hoping that he'll calm down long enough for you to go. The longer you stay, the worse it will be. When dropping him off, give him a big hug and a kiss, telling him to have a great day and that you'll see him afterward. If he has something that helps (stuff animal, blanket, etc.) bring that along as well. Shortly after you leave, he will be just fine and playing with the other kids.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008