how do i break my daughter of thumb sucking??

She is 17 months old. She only sucks her thumb if you give her her favorite blanket so we have stopped letting her have it except for nap/bedtime. When she does "suck" her thumb its more of a gnawing not actual sucking like a lolipop or anything. Should I just let it be scince its only in the privacy of her crib?? Most of me says let it be but then I have my mother and mother in law saying if I don't get her to stop now she'll be doing it at 5. Any advice would be great thanks.

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 12:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck with that. Every time I go to my 6 yo's room I catch her still sucking her thumb.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I've heard some people try putting hot sauce on their child's thumbs... *laugh* I've also heard of putting gloves/mittens on their hands to prevent it. I was blessed to not have children who sucked their thumbs, but my nieces both did for several years -- and now they both need braces before the age of 10! So if you CAN do something to stop the thumb-sucking, please do!
    Sirrah98

Answer by Sirrah98 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My daughter is a thumb sucker also usually only when she's sleepy and ready for bed though. I have heard the hot sauce thing before, pickle juice (or some sort of taste they don't like) and these expensive contraptions that go over the hand and thumb to prevent it.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Oh no! It was adorable when they were infants...now it's STOP IT! My lil guy is having a hard time saying goodbye to binky, so I feel your pain. Unfortunately, you just have to continue to be diligent and pull it away, per mom's I've known who had to deal with it. I was a thumbsucker, and wasn't pushed to stop until I had to wear a mouth retainer at 10 y/o, then it became uncomfortable. Best wishes on success!
    Jam0418

Answer by Jam0418 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2010