At what age do you stop

My son is now 8months . With in the last couple of months he only sleeps if he's with me . I love my son but I really miss sleeping alone . Some nights I don't get any sleep with him at all . So at what age would be best to kick the habit .

waitin4u

Asked by waitin4u at 12:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definitely now. It sounds like he's already dependant on you at night so imo I would do it now before it gets worse! Gl!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 12:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would also recommend you start breaking him of this habit now. Once it's started, it's pretty hard to break. It is better for the mom to have a good night's rest, without having to worry about the baby in your bed. Good luck to you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• thanks I think I just needed some courage . But I know some people co sleep untill the child is almost 2
    waitin4u

Comment by waitin4u (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Have you tried putting him in his crib at all? What happens when you do? If he cries, well then I won't be much help because I don't believe in letting them cry it out. But if he is alright, then just put him in his crib. My 14 month old still sleeps with me because I don't have the heart to put him in his crib and let him cry. We do have his pack n' play set up with comfortable blankets and stuff, next to our bed and some nights when he's really tied and falls asleep, we put him in there for the night. He usually wakes up after a few hours though. LOL you might want to try that. He'll still be in your room but not in your bed.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Soon..it only gets harder to get them out...trust me!
    It will probably only take you a week to get him used to sleeping on his own.
    Start him with naps in his own bed...then start the night in his own bed...then put him back when he wakes up at night (after you have fed him or comforted him) It's hard work, I needed my husband to help me when we were trying to get my son out of our bed (he was 11months)
    I'm such a suck...I LOVE sleeping with my babies...but it gets to the point were everyone sleeps better with their own space. Do what feels right for you and your baby.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Well, I would say now, but I'm with Ash on this one. My daughter was "dependent" on me to fall asleep for about 9 or 10 months, then all of a sudden, when we would try putting her to bed on her own, she was fine and refused to sleep with me anymore after that. As babies get more independent, they get kind of scared of their newfound freedom and tend to cling to mommy again. It might just be a phase. Try putting him down on his own from now on, and see what happens. Remember, you only have him this size and this dependent on mommy once, and he might just not be ready to sleep alone. It's really up to you what you do, but that's what we did with our daughter and it seemed to work out great. She just couldn't sleep alone for almost the first year, but since then, she will rarely fall asleep with anyone (she's 2 now). I hope this makes sense lol. I'm getting tired, so I'm sorry if it doesn't.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i think it's best to break him of this habbit early. i know it's hard because u love him but he needs to sleep alone and u need your rest. the sooner the better...trust me. after a week or two he'll be fine.
    mademsofia

Answer by mademsofia at 12:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I sidecarred a crib so we have extra room. My 13 month old sleeps next to me but there is always room. I know that this time is short and I know I will miss every moment when it is gone. And the day will come. Besides, teething and a major growth spurt are just around the bed so where the baby sleeps isn't going to change the need to be up at night to parent. Though babies can sleep alone they were not designed by nature to sleep alone so its not a habit that you will be breaking, you will be trying to override something that is innate. So keep that in mind if you decide to do it.

Yes some nights are restless, but if she's restless with me its for a reason and she'd be more restless not beside me. And I frankly don't want to get up to attend to night needs especially nursing.

my husband and I don't sleep alone, and before I met my husband I had my fill of sleep isolation.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son is doing the same thing now and I'm not that worried about it. My older son did the same thing and he sleeps fine now by himself. The time just came that I put him back in his bed and he was fine with it. Give your child the comfort he needs now and worry about him sleeping alone after this phase passes.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010