How do i get my 3 1/2 year old to help her big sister clean thier room?

She makes most of the mess and when it's time to clean she will hide in the hall, or thats when she needs to go potty,anything to get out of it. then my oldest gets it all done then she goes in there and acts like she has been so busy. I've made my oldest just do say half of it and let her finish it, still excuses. or she will just sit in there and "can i be done"? when i go check it's not been touched and she says she cant do it alone,i tell her she made the mess she has to pick it up. it may be 2 toys right in front of her and she will say i cant. so i usally tell her ok leave it if i have to pick it up i will throw it in the trash, that usally works but not before a huge fight , any suggestions?

Asked by mackison74 at 5:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you tried making a game out of cleaning up? either that, or just tell her if she can't clean it up, she can no longer play w/ it. no fighting. just take it away. or just leave her there until she cleans it up. lol. good luck :)

Answer by newhawaiimommy at 6:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have really found that a reward is key. Im not saying food but cause and effect type. Like if she gets her room cleaned she can do a fun activity. With my childcare kids we clean up before lunch and we all help and sing the clean up song and I give AMPLE praise when they have cleaned well. Good luck I know this is a hard thing to deal with.

Answer by Nluvwitasailor at 7:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• if you find anything that works really well, let me know. My son does that and leaves it all up to his sister to do.

Answer by kaysha at 8:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• yes we have a sticker chart. tell her that if she does not clean her room she will loose a sticker or not even get one. or take a privelege away from her that she really likes to do., once she cleans her half she will earn it back.

Answer by ilovetracilynn at 9:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I know it's probably the best technique but this is what works for me for say every five things she picks up she gets an m&m! My 3 year old loves to help do anything and everything else in the house but her room so I had to figure out somethin to get her to do it and that's what works!

Answer by confused0701 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I tried to make it a game for my 4 yr old boy, but like yours, he says he can't do it. Finally what I have to do is just put him in there and shut the door, and say he's not coming out until it's clean. For the first few times he stayed in there for a long time! But now it's no less than 15 minutes. I have to check before I let him out. It's working for us!

Answer by Spades at 11:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2008