Do you think she is too young?

I have a dd she is 7 yrs. old and most little girls can't wait to try the makeup and all the things us older girls do.
well this week at school is RED RIBBON week I thought I'd surprise her by offering to polish her nails red she was like really? (along with whatever she was going to wear) The reason I offered is bc her nails are long and pretty she keeps them nice and clean they are a tad longer then your average little girl but she is very careful that she does not scratch anyone after Halloween then I'll chop them off.

Her nails look so pretty but daddy already said to take them off...I am stretching to 10/31/10 :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• NO, not too young. Please explain in detail what type of trouble you and SO would expect her to get into because her nails are polished? I understand makeup, but nail-polish?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's a big deal - it's not like she's wearing it everyday. It's for a special occasion, so that seems different to me. Her daddy sounds anxious about her growing up and getting into what he perceives as 'trouble' with boys. Maybe you could all talk together as a family about it - if he sees that she's happy and that she's not weird about it he won't mind as much.

If you're worried about the chemicals - which is totally a valid concern, that stuff is really bad - you could try SpaRitual nail polish which has no formaldehyde or toluene in it.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 1:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• What's the big deal? I think that every girl deserves a little treat like having her nail polished. My only consern is the length. I have no idea what you mean by a little longer than average?! I do have an opinion on too long nails, and that is that they just look trashy.
    I would say for a young girl they shouldn't be too long and they should definately not by fake.
    happycboys

Answer by happycboys at 1:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nail polish, IMO, is just fun. Every since I was a baby, whenever we'd have family reunions, my grandpa would paint all the girls finger nails bright red, and everyone's toenails bright red. I remember painting nails with my mom when I was tiny - it's a girl thing. Have fun!
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 1:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Maybe dad thinks it looks tacky on a girl her age.

You think all little girls want to wear make up and high heels too?
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 1:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't see the problem with it at all. For one thing, it's around Halloween. Seriously, she can't keep it on til Halloween is over? Try talking to her dad more about it and try to reason with him. Just explain that it isn't an all the time kind of thing yet, and it's Halloween after all.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think nail polish at that age is fine. Normally I stick with lighter colors on my dd, but for red ribbon week it sounds appropriate.

Answer by missanc at 10:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My 7 year old daughter likes to have her nails polished too. I do it for special occassions, but it's not a regular thing. I don't let her grow her nails though, mostly because hers wouldn't be clean at all. She has asked me when she can have long nails and I told her 'when they don't get all black underneath', lol. I thinks it's fine for the short term. Dad probably doesn't like the color red on her nails though. If it was a lighter color he probably wouldn't have cared as much. It's red ribbon week though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I personally have no problem with nail polish my 8 year old has been wearing now and then for years. My husband her father has no problem with it either he actually paints them for her as he is better then I am lol. BUT........if it really bother him, I"d probably say lets take it off for now and put in on just for halloween. Compromise isnt always a bad thing :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2010