Does anyone suffer from heavy vaginal bleeding and what was your course of treatment?

Alot of women suffer from heavy vaginal bleeding for one reason or other. Sometimes its because of fibroid tumors, hormonal imbalance, or maybe even a type of uterine cancer. What course of treatment did you pursue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Health

• I have not suffered through it, but my MIL did. She is right at the age of going through menopause, and all of her (slightly older) friends had told her not to worry, it was just symptoms of menopause. Two doctors she went to told her the same thing. She knew her body and knew something was wrong, and got a third opinion, and she ended up having Uterine Cancer. thankfully they caught it before it reached the outer layers of her Uterus and spread to her lymph nodes, but she did get a full hysterectomy just to be sure that she did not end up with Ovarian Cancer as well.

I urge ALL of you ladies...if you have abnormal bleeding, heavy or not, PLEASE go get checked out!!! Had my MIL listened to her friends, or even her first two doctors, she would not have beaten her cancer so easily!!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I had very heavy bleeding during my periods ever since I started having them. The doctor tried several things including putting me on birth control pills which really didn't help. When I married my husband we each had two kids and didn't want another right away so I got the Mirena IUD. It's been a life saver. I almost never have periods anymore and when I do it's just light spotting and very very mild cramping.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yes. I've had surgery to remove endometriosis 5 times. My next step is a hysterectomy. Right now I'm on Yaz and that is helping to control it.
    Anonymous

• I have a fibroid and so far I'm dealing with it. Eventually I'm planning on having a Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE). Sounds better than a hysterectomy and much quicker recovery. I looked up info about fibroids and options online. Doctor wasn't much help. Don't be pushed or settle for anything that you aren't comfortable with.  Search for info online and ask peoples' help as you are doing.

lajebo

Answer by lajebo at 6:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I've always had heavy bleeding and was put on a miriad of birth control pills to try to help, I tried the shot, and the patch also. I recently got the Mirena IUD and I haven't bled since Saturday maybe? This IUD has already given me some freedoms I hadn't had before.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 7:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2008