sleeping in swing

will it really hurt my 2 month old to sleep in his swing? a lady once said on here they can die from SIDS in a swing and now I've been paranoid since then. but he sleeps so good in there. i have to take a blanket and kind of tuck in under his chin...he likes to feel secure. he also has refluxand i think being upright helps. can anyone ease my worries?

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 2:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest son slept in his swing all the time. My daughter that is 5 now loved it & slept in hers a lot too. My youngest has bad reflux. She slept in the bouncy seat for the first 4 mo. of her life (you could not lay her flat at all or she threw up). She liked the swing too (when I could use it...her sister would not leave her alone in it though! They're 14 mo apart in age). I do not see a problem with it. I've never heard of a child dying from SIDS in a swing.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Meant to add, my other kids never really cared to be in the swing. They just didnt like it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I've never heard that it could cause sids. But I used to let my little ones sleep in their swing when they were babys. I think there was a baby in a child care facility who died of sids in an infant swing. But that doesn't mean it was the swing that caused it. I did some research and couldn't find anything credible enough to say it can cause sids.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have never heard anything about being in the swing possibly causing SIDS. Actually I've heard a lot to just the opposite; that being in an inclined position (i.e. a swing) is actually easier for newborns to breath and sleep. I would of course be careful with the blanket, make sure she doesn't chew on it and get it stuck in her throat or something like that but I don't see any problems with the swing. It would be similar to if you were holding her all the time to rock her.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son slept in his swing when he was around 3 months, he did it for a few months actually. It was the only way I could get him to sleep!
    amberena

Answer by amberena at 2:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son loved sleeping in his swing. We always had him in the same room, but he loved that thing. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2010