are you offended when someone says oh my god or jesus christ as slang?

i saw a lady get yelled at for saying the latter while walking down the sidewalk. Just curious if you find this offensive.

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 6:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No not at all. I try not to say it...but sometimes it's a better replacement than saying "oh shit!" in front of my kids. But I realize that it can be offensive to those that do believe in that god, and I try very hard to respect that.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• not really, cuz I'm not a follower. Equivalent to saying "Oh my Zeus". Doesn't mean anything (to me).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nope.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 6:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, but I do think her intrusiveness is quite offensive considering what you said is not illegal.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• no
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Not at all.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 6:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nope, I say them all the time:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i'm not offended so much as i am curious as to why someone would claim Him/either, when they clearly are not sincere about ownership.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes I do find it offensive. But I am not going to go on a rampage. That being said...we are not to take the name of the Lord in vain. To toss it around flippantly is irreverant. As I told my kids, would like your name used as a reference for blame or insult all the time? Or how would you feel if someone put "f-bombs" in front of or in the middle of your name every time they referenced you? As long as you brought this up...I have never heard anyone use the name "allah" or "buddah" in disrespect so why God or Jesus?
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't find it offensive but at the same time I don't like it. I feel that we cheapen God and Christ by bringing them down to the level of a slang word or even a bumper sticker.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2010