If you could redo the American currency system what changes would you make?

adelinasmommy

Asked by adelinasmommy at 6:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't see any issues with our currency. I see issue with our economy and our governments incessent belief that throwing more and more NON EXISTANT money on the issues with our economy will somehow fix things? it doesnt matter really WHO is in office, what political party etc. They all would benefit from some classes in good old down home frugal thinking.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 6:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That is a good suggestion!
    adelinasmommy

Comment by adelinasmommy (original poster) at 6:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Blind people need to know what differences in paper sizes are, if this is too difficult, than make each bill texture a bit different.
    Coins are diff. in weight, and sizes. Why not paper, for the blind also?
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree with katipeas...no issues with the currency, and BTW...I love the penny...anyway..I think the issues lie with the mismanagement of the existing funds and the misappropriation of the monies that we HAVE...I think that having homeless on the streets in the richest country of the world is DISGRACEFUL and unwarranted; I think that prostitution should be legalized, taxed and regulated...imagine what that would do for our economy; I think all states should have legalized gambling;and I think we should stay the H**L out of other countries political issues if it does not directly impact the safety of our shores, unless the ASK us to become involved. Wasting trillions of dollars on having a military presence all over the world is foolish!
    STEVESBELLA4EVR

Answer by STEVESBELLA4EVR at 7:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree some way to distinguish between bills by size or texture for the blind would be nice. I would like to see our bills be more colorful but that isn't a necessity.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have to say, I don't like the different colored currency. I've lived places where they do that, and I didn't like it because then when someone sees you with money (say, they're at the next register, or a few people behind you in line), they can see at a glance, based on the color of the bills, what sort of change you got back. It's harder to be more discrete with the larger bill amounts. (Like in Canada, they see you get a red bill, they know it's a 50, they see you get a green one, they know it's a 20...)

I know this is a silly change, and it's not that big a deal that we should try to switch to it or anything, but if we were starting fresh, creating it now, I would change the dime and the nickel. It always seemed silly to me as a kid that the nickel, worth less, was bigger than the dime... not to mention the size of the dime compared to the penny...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I do think the best way to change our currency though would be to change the way our country manages it - that the people in charge (regardless of party) have to have a basic understanding of budgets and money management. (Not to mention that they can't give themselves raises, that they shouldn't be collecting a pension even if they only serve one term, etc....)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't know about currency, but I wish we could do away with Social Security numbers....come up with something different. They are too easy to steal and devastating if that happens. I'm all for microchip technology for social security type codes--same with banking info. Guess that would sort of negate paper currency.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Make the dollar bill a coin like it is in most other countries.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Not so many coins.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 3:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010