Do you think....

Without it being sexual, that some men just like conversating with women better than other men?

My DH says sometimes men have to talk with this machismo (tough guy or manly stereotype) and often make sexual references and can't seem to carry just a normal conversation. Many women are capable of just talking normally and that is why he has always had more female friends in his life.

Is that seen as unusual?
Some men during his life have even accused him of being gay for being able to relate better with females. Some of it may be jealousy or a lack of understanding so they lash out with hurtful words (human nature I guess).

What do you think?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• I think society tries to mold men into a stereotype by disallowing them to relate to their softer side: we don't encourage young boys to play with dolls, but rather guns, we disallow and even humiliate boys who cry, etc. So those men who have the courage to admit that there is more to life than sex, violence and testosterone-driven behavior should be commended for their courage to step "out of the box". I was married to a man who, to the public, pretended to be a macho-SOB, but in private was relatively gentle and could be in touch with his softer side...(Other than the fact that he was abusive, too, that was a good mix), so NO I don't think it is unusual, and I think it should be encouraged and commended. IMO
    STEVESBELLA4EVR

Answer by STEVESBELLA4EVR at 7:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Sure I think that can definitely be true. It is the other variables that you have to be cautious of.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My husband generally would rather talk to me or my girl friends than hang out wth the guys. its not completely unusual.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 6:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• The type of women, if you were just fighting, the setting, the motive... just to name a few.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• mine is very into his feminine side as well and is not handy with tools or a big sports guy, either. He's the mommy in our family, while I go out on business trips and work all day, he's running errands and taking care of school stuff and cleaning and cooking.

downside being he's isolated being a man. The women don't include him and sometime just ignore him. The guys he can't relate with since they are so different. Plus as a stay at home dad, there's fewer things for him to do, since many acivitys are geared towards the mothers or are created by women without males in mind at all.

Even though moms are still the ones at home more often, our society and media and advertisers really needs to get their heads out of the 1960s and start addressing parents in general, not just "Hey Moms" imho.

I get my own flak for not being home with the kids, being the female. Really antiquated thinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Not unusual at all. I have quite a few friends, yes..straight males, that have always had tons of platonic female friends. My friend Tracy says the same thing. He says it's just different with girls, he says you can talk about things you can't usually talk about with some men. My friend Tracy is a "deep" fellow though, i can understand what he means. My best friend Raffi growing up is the same way. He's always had platonic female friends, it's never been an issue & he also enjoys the conversation aspect of his female friendships. It's not totally common, but it's not rare either for some men to enjoy having non-sexual friendships with women.

Not all men think with their dicks first. That is a common belief, but not a true one at all....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My husband is a chatty patty he can converse with anyone.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My husband can talk with a rock, so it doesn't surprise me if he can be glued to a man as well as a woman!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Depends one of my cousins as 7 older sister so he can talk with women all day long- he's got a gorgeous fiancee too. I would say your other half has more of an understanding of women then other men and actually can carry a conversation
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I dont think there is anything wrong with someone being able to relate more to the opposite sex.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010