How do you talk to a coach about your child's health without ignorance?

My son had a concussion. My husband will be talking to the coach tomorrow but in the meantime what could he say to him? My son was taken off first string and now does light practes. It is so frustrating that this happened during practice! Any ideas?

mamacita69930

Asked by mamacita69930 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• we don't know the coach's educational background or anything about the guy. He may be a doctor in real life for all we know and understand more than you give him credit for. Just treat him like a normal adult and explain. If he doesn't understand, help him to understand. If he can't then maybe pull your son off the team until he's better.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It sounds as if he is trying to protect your son's future health. There are all sorts of reports out now (as well as some commercials on the radio here) that getting a concussion can lead to Parkinson's and ALS. That re-injuring yourself before your concussion is fully healed is far more dangerous than even getting another concussion later on down the line.

Just ask him if he is trying to protect your son's health. I doubt the coach is trying to be punitive, but proactive for something that doesn't show up for years.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• The coach is both covering his butt and watching the safety of your son. Concussions are nothing to dismiss lightly. They cause brain damage that IF you allow FULL healing before going back to full activity, will heal completely. Otherwise the brain damage will be permanent. So, would you rather your son go back to 1st string and risk another concussion and PERMANENT BRAIN DAMAGE or have his coach limit his activities (and this might be per league regulations).

I would not confront the coach on this issue, I'd commend the coach on being cautious with a player that has had a brain injury.....it isn't just a concussion - it is a brain injury!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• he is just coving his ass - doesnt want your son to get hurt again and set himself up for being sued or losing his job. i wouldnt worry about it. you should value the fact that he isnt going to let your son get hurt again.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Good for the coach! Concussions should not be taken lightly! Haven't you been following the news of various football players and head injuries lately??? In August a team mate of my college son suffered a concussion and he was totally unable to practice or play. 3 weeks later his doctor allowed him to practice again, he suffered another concussion and again he wasn't allowed to play or practice. Two weeks later, while at home, he passed away in his sleep due to complications from his concussion. He was 18 years old. Instead of worrying about his not being on the first string, let him recover from the concussion and take him back to the doctor for a follow up check up.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I am somewhat confused.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 8:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• About what? My son got a concussion during football practice. He was taken off practices and games and just started running. My husband did not see the coach but wants to find out what the deatails are since now they are taking him off first string. I just wnated some words of wisdom .
    mamacita69930

Comment by mamacita69930 (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son is never pulling out. He went to every pracitce even though he had a concussion but did not participate. He was commened for it. I can not wait to find out what this coach is going to say to my husabnd.
    mamacita69930

Comment by mamacita69930 (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Are you upset that your son was taken off First String?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, not at all. In fact I hope he sits out of the game.Ever since that college football player got paralyzed, I go into panic mode thinking about it. I pass by Colonia HS every day going to pick up my son from his catholic hs.Everyone is still in shock. So I totally agree with the coach's decision regarding my son. My husband is curious since he never got the chance to speak with the coach yet.
    Anonymous