Tea Party candidates spurs republicans switching [arties for vote, thoughts?

Reuters) - For lifelong Republican Joe Errigo, deciding to cross party lines and support a liberal Democrat for New York governor wasn't nearly as difficult as one might expect.

Republican candidate Carl Paladino -- backed by the conservative Tea Party movement -- raised such political hackles he spawned a "Republicans for Cuomo" movement supporting Democrat Andrew Cuomo.

Similar groups can be found in heated races elsewhere nationwide, often those featuring Tea Party-endorsed candidates, attacked by Democrats and some moderate Republicans as extreme.

"When I saw his website, I said nobody could be that dumb," said Errigo, an upstate New York Assemblyman, of Paladino, a Buffalo developer and political newcomer.

"He has alienated every group that I could think of," said Errigo. "He should write a book on how to lose an election."

In Delaware, where Christine O'Donnell has Tea Party support, Republicans backing De

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's great that people will vote & support based on what they believe is right, and not just because they are affiliated with a certain party. I'm sure there are plenty of democrats who are voting republican too though...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• This is actually a good trend. If the party lines get blurred enough, people are going to actually start looking at the issues before they vote instead of just the "d" or "r" written after the name of the candidate.

There isn't a huge amount of difference between the actions of Democratic and Republican politicians IMO. I've been saying for years that choosing between a Dem and a GOP is like choosing between a barrel of s--t and a bucket of s--t, because they might look the same from the outside but it's really the same old s--t.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• And the youth vote.-

always the youth vote. grab a new voter's loyalty early on, and it takes a long time to sway them.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nothing new. Politicians always pander.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My moderate Republican friends have told me they that have no intention of voting for the right-wing, nutball Tea Party candidates on the ballot.
    peggy572

Answer by peggy572 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes---see, in 1976, I switched from Republican to Democrat because I was sick of the Nixon-Ford-Rockefeller Republicans with thier regime of lying and covering up. Yes, that included Gerry Ford too....you have no idea how many lies he told since the Warren Commission...he was the most dishonest member of that commission. ANd he lied for Nixon too which was how he attained the Vice Presidency. Ugh.
    When the Party has no morals and no concern for the American people, you refuse to vote them in.
    Now that the party has been contaminated by the Tea Party freaks, why vote them in now? I wouldn't. Vote for Independents,if you don't like Democrats ...but not for Tea Partiers.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• In Arizona, "Republicans for Giffords" are backing Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords over conservative Iraq War veteran Jesse Kelly.

In Nevada, incumbent Democrat Sen. Harry Reid, who faces Tea Party favorite Sharron Angle, counts among his Republican supporters an array of influential gaming and casino executives.

"Mainstream Republicans are refusing to support the latest crop of insurgent candidates in the Republican Party because of their extremist beliefs," said Deirdre Murphy, spokeswoman for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in Washington.

"A TREMENDOUS OPPORTUNITY FOR REPUBLICANS"In New York, Paladino has riled fellow Republicans, from his view that average Americans cannot understand adjustable mortgages, his spat with a reporter that went viral on the Web, to his plan to "take a baseball bat" to the state capital.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

• *Parties

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• . I'm sure there are plenty of democrats who are voting republican too though...

Yeah, I am thinking they probably cancel each other out. They have been saying that its the independents that will decide this, And the youth vote.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2010