Where is the line?

Stating a kid is cute is okay, but stating they are handsome or pretty is not?

I think its just on how its worded. If you word it right, you can safely say a child is a good looking person without it being taken the wrong way?

There's some kids that you can tell are going to be very attractive adults one day. Some people are just blessed early. What's wrong with acknowledging that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Some people go to far but if the person is just complamenting the child and doesn't mean anything weird by it it shouldn't bother the parent and for those people who called someone a petafile for just saying a child was pretty or handsom is so stupid.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think the line is when it goes beyond saying that they have a pleasing physical appearance (pretty, cute, handsome), and goes into sexual attraction (hot, sexy, etc).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I THINK THAT NOTHING IS WRONG TO SAY THAT A KID LOOK CUTE OR BEAUTIFUL I HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE SAYING THAT MY DAUGHTER ARE CUTE AND MY SON..
    glory2010

Answer by glory2010 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I've had people approach me and my daughter before that have given me the creeps. She all the time gets "you're so cute" or "you're beautiful" or "she has gorgeous eyes" and that is fine...we say "thank you" and move on with our day. But when someone says it and does not move on, that's when I get creeped out. I've had people come up and say that and then just stand there and STARE AT HER. *shivers* I quickly remove her from that situation.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I had a creepy moment 2 really with my son, I was walking into a store and this lady was passing , she starts yelling all excited getting closer to my son, How is eyes are gray. How She never seen gray eyes before. Then on to his curly hair. she stated how attractive he was. I did think it was a little strange how she was acting. Yet i did not think she was a creeper..
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• im confused, i have never had anyone be offended by me saying that their kid was pretty or handsome! And I am told all the time that my daughters are beautiful! So I personally think you had a situation that is not common
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• that is crazy. i tell people all the time that their kids are beautiful and have never heard of that. i doubt they think i am going to molest their kids because i told them that they are beautiful. whoever said that to you isnt normal!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• touchy sistuation depending on the parent whose child is getting the compliment...something cud have happened in their life to make them think in this sort of way...most people are just compilmenting your child.....
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree with the PP....I think "pretty" and "handsome" are fine. It's when people start calling their kids, or others kids, "hot" and "sexy", that the line is crossed.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• common.. for you ;-) I've had plenty of people shout pedophile on here just for acknowledging the attractiveness of someone under 18 and I think thats ridiculous to jump to that conclusion.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2010