Stop Fruit Flies???

My kitchen is spotless right now and for some reason I have about 100 fruit flies in there. I have no idea how to make them go away, HELP!!!!!

ejkmommy

Asked by ejkmommy at 8:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• have fun for about the next two weeks, or google homemade fruit fly traps, my kitchen was spotless also, I had to put ALL fruit in the fridge and finally was so aggravated I would put something (vinegar? can't remember) on the counter to attrack them them suck them up in the vaccuum cleaner about 5 or 6 times,but before that I fought for 2 weeks!
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 9:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I only know they come from fruit that went bad, I don't get how they just appear. anyways when we have gotten them we had to get rid of the fruit, Then they just disappeared like they appeared
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• They could be in your sink drain, they eat decomposing organic matter and also breed in it..Yum! Hot water and bleach down the pipe should help. Also check your trash can for any possible goo that is stuck inside it :)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Check where your potatoes are. I have forgotten potatoes sometimes.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Do you have any potatoes in a bag somewhere out? I had a bag that was hidden once and there were so many flies...I now keep the potatoes in the fridge.
    yellarose

Answer by yellarose at 9:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You can put a cup of apple cider vinegar on the counter or a glass of red wine to collect them. You could also put a piece of fruit in the bottom of a tall glass and make a cone out of paper, with the point only small enough for them to crawl into, not back out of, and put that in the glass, point down. You may have to tape it to the glass. I would try the vinegar and red wine first. It's easier.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 9:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• We had this problem around late Summer. They actually came from a basil plant I had bought that still had the roots and you just submerge it in water. Well, When it started to go bad, I lefted it out of the vase and about a million little fruit flies flew out! It took forever to get rid of them. I just made extra sure not to have any water in glasses laying out and kept the sink empty of water and the icemaker overflow empty as well (very gross to find them in their dead, eeewww...) I have heard about leaving out an open bowl of vinegar out, but I forgot about it at the time.
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 2:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I want to Thank all of you, you were very helpful!! I figured out the reason, my new dish soap! It is Gain Mango Tango!!! I want to give best answer to all of you, but I can only pick one!! Thank you !!!
    ejkmommy

Comment by ejkmommy (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2010