homemade hot cocoa mix

Does anyone have a hot cocoa mix that I can make? I know people make the mix so that all you have to do is add water/milk to it. My kids love hot cocoa in the morning before they go to school and while they are out waiting for the bus to pick them up.

Thanks a bunch!

Dawn

yellarose

Asked by yellarose at 9:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• * 10 cups dry milk powder
    * 4 3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
    * 1 3/4 cups unsweetened Hershey's cocoa powder
    * 1 3/4 cups powdered non-dairy creamer

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine milk powder, confectioner's sugar, cocoa powder, and creamer. Stir till thoroughly combined. Store cocoa mixture in an airtight container. Makes about 15 cups mix, or enough for about 45 servings.
    2. For 1 serving, place 1/3 cup cocoa mixture in a coffee cup or mug, and add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir to dissolve. Top with dollop of whipped cream or a few marshmallows, if desired.

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Here is a super easy one that I have made for yrs, and a lot of people have liked it and asked for the recipe. I got it from my mom, I don't know where she got it...

Mix equal parts nestle quick, powdered milk, and (powdered) non dairy coffee creamer. You can also add a little cinnamon or a little bit of cayenne pepper - lol - I know that last one sounds weird, but it really is good (but make sure it really is just a little bit to the mix). Mix up a bunch and keep it in a jar or tupperware or something. I like to use an old kool aid scoop to measure it out (usually about a scoop and a half per mug).

Add it to hot water. Just make sure you put the water in the cup first, then add the mix, because otherwise it gets sort of a "beer head" sort of foam on top.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:06 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Oh - this might sound dumb - but I have known a couple of people that messed this part up and it didn't work right - the nestle quick I'm talking about is the powdered stuff you mix in milk to make chocolate milk - NOT the baking cocoa stuff :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• lol - sorry - one other thing with it (sorry, it's like 10 at night and been a long day here....) If you want it more "rich" then don't add more milk, just add a bit more creamer and chocolate to it. (So like, instead of a cup, a cup, a cup, do like a cup of the powdered milk and like 1 and 1/4 cup of the other 2...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-make-homemade-hot-cocoa-mix-a149301

We make this every Winter and we LOVE it!!  Very creamy even if just adding water.  Last year I mixed caramel vanilla creamer in the mixture and...OMG!!!  :-)

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• mmmmmm! both sound very good, I will have to try them. Is there also one that you can make with the Hershey's cocoa?
    yellarose

Comment by yellarose (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Thank you SweetLuci! I think that is the one I was looking for. Thank you all!
    yellarose

Comment by yellarose (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2010