teething or ear infection?

The past two nights my 8 mo old son has been waking up about every hour grabbing his ears and crying. Last night he held the sides of his face while he slept. He doesn't seem to be running a fever although yesterday twice he got really sweaty for about five minutes at a time and then just went back to normal. During the day he has been his usual happy self other than he's chewing on his fingers more and pulling on his ear. I think he might just finally be getting a tooth it, but how do I tell the difference between teething and getting an ear infection?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Infections usually come with a fever. I know it is really hard to tell, but considering his age it just might be a tooth.

Answer by older at 9:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I check for fever, fluid in the ear, other cold-like symptoms at the same time (or if he just had a cold)...here's link that might be helpful:

Ear Infection or Teething?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Ear infections are tricky they usually wake you up in the middle of the night because the fluid sinks behind the ear which is very painful. My daughter did get them alot when she was a baby, she tolerates pain very well. When I went to the doctors, they would say wow yes, she does have an ear infection, or double. Which was beyond me because she was fine during the day also, her mind was occuppied on better things besides her pain.

Usually the pulling of the ears, is a sign of ear infection not all kids get a fever, my daughter didn't. :(
    I would go to the doctor to be sure.

Teething usually don't wake a child up, it never woke any of my kids up but you never know kids are so diffrent. Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would take your baby to the doctor,might need antibiotics. The doctor can give the baby something for the ear or teeth.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Fever does NOT always come with ear infection. Many ear infections are viral and will go away on their own, but some require antibiotics. If you can control the pain with tylenol, warm compresses, love, and keep baby hydrated, try to ride it out. If you want a quick easy fix, call the doctor. Ear infections are painful - it hurts to lay down. If you can sleep sitting up with baby propped up on your chest, or prop baby up to sleep, that would help too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2010