Anybody using Metformin as a weight loss aid?

Is it effective? How are you coping with the side effects?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 9:16 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Health

• I'm on the stuff because of diabetes. Now if it has any weight loss properties then I need to have a talk with my physician because it is not working. lol But I guess it could be effective for those who do not have diabetes? I would always talk to the doctor before starting any exercise or dieting regimen especially if it involves diet products.
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 1:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• METFORMIN IS A DIABETIC MEDICATION I USE TO USE IT .IT DOES NOT HELP TO LOSE WEIGHT
    glory2010

Answer by glory2010 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• she's right ^
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I was on metformin for a time, but not for weight loss. I did lose weight but I think it was more depression related to the situation for which I was taking the metformin. I would not recommend it unless you need it for diabetes or fertility issues.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Mmm. My gynae said that it helps for PCOS and obesity
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• my mother and mother in law both take it for diabetes and my mil is obese and my mom is a little overweight....it's obviously not for weight loss, as long as they've been on it neither of them have lost weight
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I SUGGEST FOR YOU TO CALL THE DOCTOR THAT MEDICATION IS FOR DIABETIC PEOPLE I HAVE DIABETIC FOR 3 YEARS ALMOST 4 AND IM ONLY 28 YEARS OLD...DONT TAKE THAT MEDICATION IF YOU NOT DIABETIC...
    glory2010

Answer by glory2010 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010