Do you regularly check your medicine cabinet and throw away expired products?

I do, sometimes. I hold on to the "good stuff" for as long as possible.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Health

• My approach is similar to mom2aspclboy's. There are some that I keep on hand because, well, I've got this apocolyptic fear thing going on (I live in earthquake country) and there are some that I'd like to have on hand in case of extreme emergency.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes I go through the cabinet regularly, but no I don't always toss expired medications. Some medications are still good well past their expiration dates, although they do begin to lose their effectiveness the longer you keept them, and the trick is to know which are okay to keep and which are not.

You should also toss any medications that have altered in appearance or smell from when you originally purchased them, whether they are expired or not. Changes in appearance or smell can be a sign of spoilage or an altering of the chemical composition of the medication due to improper storage. These changes can be fatal, so when in doubt, toss it out.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, but I should!

Answer by older at 9:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• no, i just toss it when I notice it
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, actually when I can't fit something then I go threw it..

Too much to do, and then I keep what didn't expire and dump what did....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i do
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• yes i have to...aside from DS's tylonel everything else is percriptions that need to be tossed if it is past their date. We tend to have a lot of pain killers because of my husbands surgery that he had...and a few other medical conditions. It was funny the first time we got sick though...went through to see what we had and realized that we looked like druggies lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• YES U SHOULD THRO THEM AWAY IS DANGER TO TAKE EXPIRE MEDICATION
    glory2010

Answer by glory2010 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2010