What are your thoughts on exotic pet ownership?

As beautiful as they are, I really think they should stay where they came from. People tend to get bored with these pets after a time and let them run loose in the wild. This isn't safe for anyone.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Pets

• I think it's wrong in the vast majority of cases. Sad for the animal, potentially dangerous for the humans, and supports the cruel exotic animal trade industry. I'm against it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree with you. I have a friend who rehabs tropical birds, and she gets calls weekly to take one in. She cannot keep up with all the requests from people who cannot keep these animals. Sad.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree. Have you heard about the lady in CT that got her face ripped off by her pet chimp? Wild animals are meant for the wild.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It depends on what you are calling exotic? Wild cats, monkeys yes I agree no one should own them. Parrots, snakes, lizards, I think if you are fully educated then I see no problem with owning them. I grew up with a 7 ft red tail boa in the house. I have had many types for lizards and snakes in my lifetime. I now own 3 parrots. I love them and they are beyond spoiled. Two of them are rescues the other I have had since before he was weaned. My birds all have cages much larger than "needed", they have stands in what is supposed to be a dining room so they can be out with us all day and they have a room all to themselves. Again depending on the animal and the person owning it...I don't always have a problem with it.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It really depends on what you are classing as exotic... many vets class animals as common as iguanas, macaws, and guinea pigs as 'exotics.' I have guinea pigs and my vet is classed as an 'exotics' vet... she also does lots of other rodents and a lot of snakes/reptiles. I had african pygmy hedgehogs for years... they are classed as exotics as well.

I don't agree with taking animals from the wild for the pet trade. I see nothing wrong with having captive bred exotic animals assuming they are not dangerous to the owners and their needs are able to be provided for in captivity. Depending on the species, exotics may have specific care needs, but if a prospective owner is willing to meet them and care for a captive bred, domestic exotic, I don't see a problem with it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• hmm u need to be 110% committed to owning one, pls do research first before having one and if theres even a hint of doubt then dont have one .. so yes i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree with you, it should be illegal to own exotic pets. Too often people think they are cute when they are little or cool to have but when they get bigger and more dangerous people don't want them anymore and kill them, let them go in the wild (where they can't survive) or they end up abused. I would like to see much tougher laws on this issue
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Bad idea, it should be illegal to own exotic pets.
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I agree with you....
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree with you. People buy these animals, because they it cool. Then They get bored. The poor animal has be rehab back to the wild where they might not survive
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2010