Favorite gravy recipe?

I'm trying to find a good recipe to use at home; I've got nothing.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You will need:
    4 level tablespoons flour
    2 cups chicken broth (can be water with bouillon cubes) or 1 cup broth+1 cup milk (whole milk or 1/2 & 1/2) for cream-style gravy
    Salt & pepper (I use Lawrey's seasoning salt-adds good flavor)
    After you finish cooking the chicken, pour off the fat, trying to leave the little crunchy bits in the pan. Leave pan off the heat. Now put 2 tablespoons of the fat back into the pan. Add a little salt & pepper. Put 4 tablespoons of flour into the fat and stir with a whisk till it's mixed together. Place back on low heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring. Add broth or milk or combination and continue whisking till it starts to thicken. (about 3-5 minutes) If it's too thin, let it cook awhile longer to reduce, it will get thicker. If it's too thick, take off heat, add more broth or milk, while stirring constantly, then put back on heat. Take a little out let it sit a minute so you don't burn you
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I usually use the juices from the meats, whether it be chicken, pork or beef (with beef though I usually have to add a cube, the only juices I usually get are the seasonings I get in there)

1 cup the juices then add flour slowly until it is smooth not thick, cooking will make it thicker add a little herbs that I like-italian season, garlic powder.... put it in the frying pan, and wisk away some more. If you don't enjoy the flavor sometimes more water with a bullion cube...

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• continued:
    This makes a little more than 2 cups. If you only want a small amount-use 1 tablespoon fat, 2 tablespoons flour & 1 cup liquid. After you gain more confidence, you can guess at the measurements, leave the pan over medium heat the whole time, fix a salad while it's cooking, and hold a fussy baby on your hip, but when it's all new to you, it needs your undivided attention to get it right. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. For beef, use the same method, but use beef broth
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010