Tips for fondant work on a cake

I am making my son's birthday cake in a couple of weeks. I have never worked with fondant, and I am going to cover the 2 tier cake with fondant. I am wondering if I should let the cake dry out the night before, and apply the fondant the day of. I have heard to let your cake cool at room temp, cover tightly with plastic wrap for the whole night, and then the fondant will not sweat when put on the cake. I have no idea. Please Help!

Jacobismommy

Asked by Jacobismommy at 9:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Bake your cake the morning before. Let it cool, out of the pan, 4 hours. Put on a thin layer of buttercream, then put the fondant on. Fondant will not sweat from slightly warm cake, it sweats when you put it in the fridge and take it out. So put the fondant on in the afternoon or evening. Then decorate it either that night or the next morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Thank you so much! I am so nervous. I am doing the fondant decorations like a week before so they can really dry out well. That is what I was told to do with them.
    Jacobismommy

Comment by Jacobismommy (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2010