Need advice

We have been doing the Dave Ramsey thing and been working hard to pay off bills. I just got a second job working in retail for Christmas to help. My parents just called. Their bonus is bigger than they thought and they want to pay off our medical bills (that is all we really have other than the car). We really wanted to do this on our own, but how do you say no to a $4000 gift. What would you do?

theatregirl26

Asked by theatregirl26 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would take it in a heart beat! I am sure they will be delighted too!

Answer by older at 9:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Thanks. It is wonderful and we are greatful and thankful!! We were just so proud of doing it completely on our own. That is why I am not as thrilled about it. My husband feels the same way. We are thrilled, but not at the same time.
    theatregirl26

Comment by theatregirl26 (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would totally allow them to do it.. you can always theat them to something nice with the money you were going to use to pay off your bills ;).. I think it's awesome they want to help!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If you are not thrill about getting the money as a gift why don't you offer to pay it back slowly? Instead of paying what ever is that you need to pay every month send them 25 here and there that way you don't have the debt and you still feel good that you pay for your own debt. Just a thought

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think that they are giving you a wonderful gift. Will you still be hardcore paying off the rest of your debts? Yes, because now you are so much closer to the finish line. Haven't you still learned your lessons? I'm sure you have. As long as you do the responsible thing and put every last penny of that $4k towards your debt and stay on track....be thankful for your windfall! I think DR would approve too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I wouldn’t only because taking money from parents would come at a price to pay later on. I’ve seen it happens with families of parents throwing up in their facing on helping them. Not worth it in my book.

Perhaps taking as a loan with no interest might be the ideal thing to do but do write it up in a contract form on monthly payments.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You could always pay them back with interest. By paying off your medical bills, they are helping you and your credit out.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• musicmom definitely has a point that you should consider. You know your parents best, if they are the type of people who might throw it in your face later, then don't take it. If they are truly giving and truly want you to have the money and don't expect anything in return, accept it. You may offer to pay it back at the END of your snowball and see how they feel about that.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have learned, that some parents like to help their children. It makes them feel great. Plus, they want to help, to take the stress off, and start fresh. I would take the money. Now if you feel bad, you could always save the money like you have been doing, and repay them. Or you could just tell them you would like to do this on your own. But, you are thinking about it, so just take it.
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• God gives us blessings in our lives when we need them...you might have something else coming in your life that Jesus is going to need the new income for.....its a blessing take it and be humble...parents know how hard it is for younger parents to do things and they are just passing on the blessing ,they have recieved, to another...dont take their joy away....
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010