What do you do when you just want to give up

Parenting is hard I know this... Yet my kids just seem not to listen. and seem to not care whats going to happen to there future. If i ask them to help with cleaning they mostly will. Its the major stuff like school, and thinking there friends are more important. and so on

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 10:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Don't give up on them. Try to remember what it was like to be a teen and remember what you wished your parents did for you. Do that and they'll come around. Being a teenager becomes harder every generation.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Unfortunately once a child gets to a certain age, their friends are more important. I remember when I was a teenager, I would rather have spent all my time with my friends rather than my family. My 17 yr old dd is that way as well. They eventually will outgrow that stage. As far as school goes, I think it depends on the individual child. Our oldest could care less about school and her future, it is like talking to a brick wall and she has always been that way. Our 6th grade dd on the other hand is a straight A student who is already planning her future. It's tough and all we can do is raise them the best way we know how and hopefully some of the things we tell them will sink in eventually.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• This is the one thing you can NEVER do with teens, never ever give up!

Answer by older at 11:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• prayer prayer and more prayer...i dont care if you dont believe in Jesus...by the time you get through with some teenagers you will have definately prayed a time or two....got 2 16y/o myself and prayer is an hourly thing.......they are girls too.......
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• being a mom of five they go through some heavy stuff school ,kids picking on them and friends ,then come home listening to mom it is one thing they can not handle,this will work at the end of the day make pot of tea,sit and pour hand each one a cup you don't have say a word offer a cookie ,just sit in time you may want to talk ,this will open hole new door way to understanding what happening in their lives and what all bull shit is about,to this day all i have to do is pull out the tea cups and my kids are there just to spend some time and to talk about their day
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010