PA and Christmas

Here is my question: I work hard and have a good job. I am not on PA and I buy my daughter nice Christmas present. Why is it that people that are on PA- Food stamp and cash assistance have Wii and other nice things for their kids.

Should we teach our children it take hard work to buy thing. If your parents are too lazy to find a good paying job, but yet the government give you free food and free money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I have to agree with the OP. Nobody on PA should have things like that. They are too expensive and I would rather have the money to spend on bills and whatnot than a game system to make me more lazy. I am on PA and I agree OP!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Judgmental much? Not everyone who is on PA is lazy. Many work and just cannot make ends meet. Do you not know how bad the economy is? Many very qualified people can't get a job, or if they do it makes them one of the working poor. I work 2 part time jobs so I can be there for my child who has a medical condition. It certainly won't support us if DH lost his job, though. Would you call me lazy if I had to go on PA?

Many people are working and work hard for their money. How they save and spend really isn't your business. Many people use layaway or save for months just to make their child's day for their birthday.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Go.Away.
    I don't have PA but I certainly don't grudge welfare kids nice presents!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It is our business, when they receive PA and still they do not provide the necessities for their children. (such as paying their rents and utilities) Too often I have seen families be evicted for not paying the rent but they have top cable, video games etc.
    Sometimes people are on PA because of poor choices and they continue to make these poor choices.
    It is a downward spiral. Not expecting responsibility for actions is not going to improve the future of lives of these children.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Right, because its unfathomable that something like a Wii could have been bought as a gift by someone outside of the household. And I agree, not everyone on PA is lazy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I never knew until I was older that my parents didn't have much money while i was younger and I will do the same for my kids
    trachmom312

Answer by trachmom312 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• then there is a flip side to that story. i work in a school where most the kids are on PA and i hate it but i happens every year... some kindergarten kid asks me why santa hates poor people. i guess the santa thing gets to a lotta people with their kids NEEDing presents on xmas. it is hard to explain to middle class kids that the poor have more stuff than them because the poor kid's parent is cheating the system or just working the system to the max. life is never fair. on any side of the fense it isnt fair.... as soon as we get over the "its not fair" thing the happier we are!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• oaky OP and nasty people agreeing, how do you know that they ddint get the wii..etc prior to PA, or as a gift, or from a charity for gifts? How do you know that they arent looking for "a good paying job" You dingy broad, you cant just walk outside and go " hey i need a GOOD PAYING JOB" and find one. For all you know they are looking at all times. How do you,know that the parents arent injured, or war veterans, and why is it so bad for them to save someof their PA to get their kids a family gift that teh children deserve? So you think that the kids should be told " we are poor, so you cant have anything nice" . Also how do you know that those kids dont have a bio- mom or dad that pays child support? That money goes to the kid, which includes gifts. You are mean and selfish. We are a military family, and make probably twice what you make, but we have suffered too!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I refuse to judege a family on PA by a glance, you are mean, selfish, and dont seserve to have anyone EVER help you. I believe that one day you will learn a lesson in life, that will make you look back and regret what you have said and done to people less fortunate that you...... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• BTW I am aware that I was very mean about this and I am sorry , but the truth is that when you post anon and are cruel to humanity, i really dont htink that you deserve me to be gentle with my words. If you had the balls to show your face, I might have given your feelings more of a consideration.
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2010