Loosing Halloween

My 9 yr old is acting so bad in school, we have worked with the teachers, We have taking away the computer his hand help psp, next i am thinking no trick or treating,,,,,, Yet i feel so bad cause his younger siblings will be going. any advice

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 10:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kid is doing the same thing. I still plan on letting him do Halloween, but he's grounded from, the computer, tv, games and anything else fun. Except I do let him outside for an hour to play, just to get some fresh air. In the meantime he has had extra chores and has to stay in his room and read. Today was his first day back after being out on suspension for a day, so we'll see how his behavior was soon. I'm in agreement with the candy thing, because taking things away only sees to increase the bad behavior. Positive reinforcement works a lot better.
    berrysweetmamma

Answer by berrysweetmamma at 4:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Take away only what you want too.

I would make him go but after wards he has to earn his candy.... Use it as an incentive... LOL

Wow, you guys have a lot of candy, what are you going to eat tonight. Oppps, I forgot you have to earn it. Sometimes we have to teach them, the hard way..
    Halloween to me is a family thing, we all go.... :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Taking away an entire Holiday will probably not make him want to improve his behavior. It's a bit extreme.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would not opt to take away a holiday over bad behavior. That's like taking away Christmas or Easter because of bad behavior. If your kid is really acting up this bad, I highly doubt that taking away holidays is going to work in your favor. GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree with KFree. Let him go, but don't let him have any of his candy until his behavior improves.
    SheIsMySunrise

Answer by SheIsMySunrise at 11:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Do the family activity but he won’t eat the candy he gathers until he improves his behavior. Do the warning first before he dresses up this way he knows and can make that decision on whether he want to go or not. In this matter you throwing the decision processes on his shoulders, on going or not and you can’t be blamed on taking Halloween activity away. GL
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• good ol booty warming and take away that halloween..he prolly gets candy all the time so it is really just that act of the night fun he is missing...but someone else will also be missing the other children cuz someone is going to stay home with him....remember to do what you say...consistency is vital...(.just my thoughts)
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• this is hard...i am not sure about using food as a reward...as a teacher we are not even allowed to use it that way..every school is different...that said I wouldn't take the holiday either per se..are there any other events taking place during the weekend you can barter with?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i would let him go but i would explain it to him first. the candy he collects goes to school. when he is good the teachers can give him some of his halloween candy . because the issues are at school i would empower the teachers with the barganing power of candy:)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2010