What's best for a sore throat?

My son has a sore throat, is hoarse, and has a deep cough. I couldn't get him in the doctor today...not sure if I can tomorrow...and I'm going into the hospital Monday for a C-section! UGHHH. He's not running fever or anything, just feeling bad. Is there anything that I can do for it at home in case I can't get him into the doctor????

KennsWifey

Asked by KennsWifey at 2:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• chloroseptic spray
    Anonymous

• you could give him something minty, cough drop not the ones that taste like candy and something for pain...a normally medicane like tylenol
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Lots of fluids, warm fluids are soothing for the throat. Adding honey and lemon is also good. You could give him children's Tylenol or Ibuprofen for the discomfort. If he runs a fever you should bring him to the doctor, sometimes kids get Strep throat.
    Anonymous

• I have heard honey is a cure all and I always give it to them when they start feeling sick. I mix it in their hot chocolate(which is really yummier than it sounds) and they drink it right up.
    Taylor82

Answer by Taylor82 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I get bad sore throats every year and never see the doctor. I just use ginger ale and hot tea, and at night a minimal amount (less than half the recommended dose) of Nyquil.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 5:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Take him to an urgent care clinic. Most insurance will cover this. Check it out.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• honey with a little lemon
    MarksGurl

Answer by MarksGurl at 9:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Ginger/lemon tea with honey, lots of fluids, vitamin c drops/suckers to suck on.
    Anonymous

• Or just a cold glass of water. Tell him to drink it when he coughs or his throat is irritated. Water will soothe his throat and help with the coughing. Leave one beside the bed at night, so there will be a little moisture around him and he can also sip it if he wakes up.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:10 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• We do the hot tea with honey here. It soothes the throat. Sucking on cough drops helps, but most kids don't like the ones that have a medicine taste and will just eat up the ones that don't taste bad. Tylenol/Ibuprofen if he runs a fever. Lots of fluids in general. Plenty of rest. Some people swear that rubbing vicks vapor rub on their feet helps. Personally I am not sure about that one, but it comes under the category of it can't hurt.
    lasfl

Answer by lasfl at 2:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2008