WYR get nothing or an unwanted present?

you can always return or exchange it, but the awkwardness of pretending to like it at the time sucks.

I get gift cards (if anything) if I don't know what the person wants exactly.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 10:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My SIL gives terrible gifts every year. Just thoughtless things, things I would never use nor want. I always return them. I guess it would be nicer to be given nothing rather than an errand.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• nothing. My aunt seems to think buying me ONE item from the Dollar Tree is a big deal and I must ooh and aaah over it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i get unwanted gifts all the time. LOL! but let my dh forget about me on my birthday or anniversary, and there is hell to pay!

girl..two years ago, he said he 'didn't have time' to shop for xmas. (isn't it the same day every year, like, no surprise when its time to shop, right??), so he thought it'd be funny to throw some hotel bath products(y'know, the ones they 'give' you for your use/stay) in my stocking. he thought i'd get a good laugh over it. he was wrong. i threw them in his face and said, 'WTF?' ..yep, right there on xmas, the day we celebrate our Lord's birth. i was pissed.
    he hasn't forgot to give or shop since then. yeah, i'm still pissed. LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I rather get nothing, I suck at returning things. They just sit there and I either give them to someone else of throw it.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My dad is big on auctions. What he thinks is a big deal is just someone else's old junk they didn't want (to us). He always wants a big reaction, too (although he claims this to not be true). So even the kids have learned to make a big deal when grampa brings them something. Then half the time it ends up in the garbage or in the attic in storage completely unused. He means well tho and it that thought that counts. At least he cares. Thats how I look at it.

But that feeling of guilt I get makes me feel like I'd rather receive nothing at all than have to make Dad look silly by pretending to like what he gave us this time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• What is with everyone? You all should be glad that your family even thinks about you when shopping for everyone else! So what if they give you something thats not exactly what you want? Trust me, you might say you'd rather get nothing at all but if you really did get nothing, you'd feel forgotten, unloved and worthless. I'd much rather get something lame like a toothbrush or a can opener for Christmas then nothing at all.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'm used to getting nothing so the idea that someone actually thought of me, even if the gift is unwanted, always excites me. I do end up with a lot of gag gifts because everyone knows they'll get a good reaction out of me. I now have a box full of "happy 5th birthday" cards, dollar tree cups and figurines, and books on how to improve my sex life. ;)

flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 10:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• as i stated, its the thought that counts and at least he cares at all. Doesn't mean I have to like what he got or like that feeling of making him look foolish by pretending to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2010