Would you send her to school?

Two days ago my daughter cut the inside of her mouth with the tip of a pencil...had a talk with her again about being careful with pencils..anyways, took her to the doctor and they said to rinse out her mouth after every meal and to watch for infection. Well she stayed home yesterday because that is when I took her to the doctor. Today her cheek is still swollen but she is not in a whole lot of pain. She ate breakfast just fine. She is 4 yrs old and in preschool..she goes for 3 hrs in the afternoon. I am not sure if I should send her today or keep her home one more day. What would you do?

tarams98020

Asked by tarams98020 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would send her but tell the teacher to let her rinse her mouth out after snack or whenever she asks to.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If it's for three hours I would give it a try. Talk to the person in charge and let them know what's up and ask that if she starts to show signs of more discomfort to give you a call and you can pick her up early.
    I hope she feels better soon :)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Since it would seem to be OK for her to go- it is only for a few hours, then I'd say it is really up to you. If you would be frantic about it, then keep her home. I think that personally I would keep her home so I could keep an eye on her, but really for three- four hours she should be OK. Do as your instincts tell you.

Answer by Bmat at 10:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Thats kind of scary. I would still send her to school, just let the teachers know. (i'd see if you couldn't get her to rinse with something else... like hydrogen peroxide or baking soda..) I know a 4 year old would probably not let that happen. But if it got bad I'd be worried and try to get my little one to do it ;) good luck, and in my opinion, there doesn't seem like any reason you shouldn't take her. Just talk to the teacher about her rinsing, and ask her to PLEASE keep a close eye on her! (with pencils in her mouth, etc!) Thats the teachers job
    kknJt

Answer by kknJt at 10:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Since when do they give kids pencils in pre-school??
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• She is at the elementary and they have been practicing to write their name and such. I just talked with her teacher and with the rinsing and stuff they suggested that I keep her home one more day. They told me that they would have her do the rinsing and she cant put it in her mouth and the swish it around...I have to take one of the blue bulb things and fill it with the salt water and rinse out her mouth.
    tarams98020

Comment by tarams98020 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Take the teacher's advice.

Answer by Bmat at 1:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010