Did you know?

On this date in 1886 the Statue of Liberty, a gift from the people of France, was dedicated in New York Harbor by President Grover Cleveland. The statue weighs 225 tons and is 152 feet tall. It was originally known as "Liberty Enlightening the World."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I love knowing about these sorts of holidays - they create the perfect occasion for looking into our national heritage.
    For instance, we could view photos of the Statue of Liberty and discover the various details which the sculptor put ito his work.

Most especially, we could share with our children simply reading aloud the words on the Statue - so many of us (including me until a few minutes from now when I will be reading it) don't know what that national emblem says beyond the phrase "... Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free ..."

Thank you so much for spotlighting this !

Constitution Day is similarly helpful in sharing our American heritage with our children ... and Flag Day, and the 4th of July for reading the Declaration of Independence, and Washington's Birthday for his Farewell Address, Lincoln's b'day for his speeches, ML King's "I have a dream" speech ...

Brief and easy !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I didnt but I do now! ;)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Very interesting fact. And, no, I didn't know this was the anniversary of the SOL. Thanks for sharing that.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 10:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No I did not know that so thank you & I live in NY!! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I did know where we got it from, and the original name, however I did not know the exact date we got it. Very interesting.....
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I didn't have a clue! Txs for the information!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• .
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 10:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• FYI – Today is National Chocolate Day

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2010